Croton morea question

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Genifer, Jul 11, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Genifer

Genifer Member

Hello fellow croton lovers. My name is Genifer & I am new to this site. I bought a beautiful morea croton @ Walmart & I was wondering how much sun it can take. Right now I have it on my screened back porch where it gets about 3-4 hours of morning sun. I would love for it to develop it's full potential colors & I was wondering if it needs more or less sun for that. Thanks

2. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

Welcome, Genifer you are entering the fog of name this croton. If you can post a photo and the fun will begin. When you are ready to add to your croton collection (road trip) come to Florida we have a great group and can be talked out of a freebie.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Welcome Genifer,3-4 morning hours sound just fine.Remember to keep it well watered.Post a picture and we all will try to help you with the ID as Morea is probably not the common name for your plant :)

4. Genifer

Genifer Member

I would love to be able to take a trip to Florida. Maybe I can at least try for a weekend. I tried to post some pics but I couldn't figure out how to. I'm going to try again now.

Attached Files:

5. Genifer

Genifer Member

Thanks for the welcome. My girls & I appreciate it. All my plants are girls with names. So far I have about 10 & I'm always trying to add. If I see one that I don't have it becomes my mission to acquire it. I was in Walmart where they had a very sickly Lauren's Rainbow that I had to take home cuz it hurt my heart to see it so sick. She is doing good now with some new growth.

Attached Files:

6. Bullwinkle

This one looks like Van Buren,once it gets some more size and color we will know for sure

7. Genifer

Genifer Member

Which one the supposed to Lauren's rainbow or the morea??

8. Bullwinkle

Morea

9. Genifer

Genifer Member

Ok. Thanks. I'll have to do my research on Van Buren now :)

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Genifer - a warm welcome to the forum. Please keep posting.

Morea was a croton name that I was unfamilar with. I Googled it and could only find multiples of the same image. It was a 3.5" rooted cutting that was difficult to ID because of its size. It looked like a Buddy or perhaps Norma to me. It is not uncommon to "re-name" a croton for marketing purposes. I gotta agree that the photo you posted looks like a Van Buren. If it grows fast and you get some nice pink stirations, its a Van Buren.

Many from this forum get together from time to time and we have garden tours. I know you live a distance but you could expand your collection of some very nice cultivars rapidly if you attended. Some beauties you would never encounter commercially.

Once again, welcome ;):D

Ron

11. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Genifer Welcome! Was that one of those "Exotic Angel Plants"? Exotic Angel Plants have a few made up names for their Crotons.

12. Genifer

Genifer Member

13. Genifer

Genifer Member

Yes it's from exotic angel. Around here where I live exotic angel is really all that's available except every once in a while you'll see a Petra.

14. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

A few shots of my Van Buren's IMG_2118.jpg IMG_2114.jpg IMG_2143.jpg

15. Genifer

Genifer Member

Those are beautiful & the one on the bottom left definitely looks like the one I have. I have another one I have a question about what it is. I'm going to post a pic of it. I got it from a very small plant place close by that only knew they were crotons & not specifics. I think it could possibly be Eleanor Roosevelt from my research but I'm not sure.