Croton "Miami"

fawnridge

04/07/09
This may very well be something else, but I've been calling it "Miami" since I found it. The original plant is in the Cutler Ridge area of South Miami. It was growing between a Bogoriensis and a Mortii that were both much larger than it. Single trunk and I'm guessing it may have been a seedling cross between the two. Note the red mid vein and red on the underside of the leaf. In the shade, this one goes from yellow to red.

If there's no positive ID to this one, I'll add it to the on-line reference under the name "Miami".

miami.jpg

Well, my first question is, the bottom plant was growing on the top plant in the picture? They do basically have the same leaf shape and size, but boy, they sure are different! And one of them wasn't a sport?

Do you have a picture of the overall plant showing them both?

Jeff

Jeff - The two plants are from cuttings from the same mother plant. The top one (yellow) was planted in the sun, the bottom one was planted in the shade. They were both yellow to start, but over the years, the one in the shade became redder. As a matter of fact, the shaded leaves of the top one resemble the one at the bottom.

Here's one similar - but not quite the same. The veining is white; more light gives more veins. No idea where it came from. Only shows that there's lots of un-named varieties out there and that naming is more art than science.

Attachments

• DSCN2104.jpg
    DSCN2104.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN2105.jpg
    DSCN2105.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN2106.jpg
    DSCN2106.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN2108.jpg
    DSCN2108.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 220
After looking at the pics, the veining is still whiter than yellow. Leaf texture is leathery. Parent plant gets northern exposure and has not suffered in winters in past eight or more years. Likes almost full sun.

thanks for posting 2 versions. i have just installed a croton collection at the florida botanical gardens in largo, fl. mr. lee advised us to give our original collection which was under deep shade a major haircut. what a difference that has made 18 mos. later. we are truly grateful to phil stager for id help last dec. as well as plants from his yard last which we have now included in the collection. a cold snap this winter produced major leaf drop on the plants i was babysitting at home. i took the ones i could readily identify in to plant but i am left with a group of 25 or so that have your same problem, they don't look anything like the originals. lighting conditions sure seem to make a major difference so showing it in under both conditions is helpful for a newbie like me.