Croton ID's PLEASE

donroberth

19/07/09
“LA GARITA” area of Alajuela, Costa Rica where there are about 25 to 30 nurseries located in an 8-10 mile stretch of road both huge operations as well as “mom and pop”. This is the area where I sometimes go on the weekends and hunt for new Crotons or replacements for some of the ones I have lost for various reasons. Photos one and two are of a newly landscaped roadside park. ..what drew my attention immediately was that this park was basically dedicated to one single Croton and Cordyline…enjoy the brief park tour.
Photo three and four are close-ups of the Croton I wish to Identify. Would this be NESTOR or other?

Attachments

• 1) DSC03547.jpg
    1) DSC03547.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 2) DSC03530.jpg
    2) DSC03530.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 3) DSC03060.jpg
    3) DSC03060.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 4) DSC03070.jpg
    4) DSC03070.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 102
Photos one and two : I.D. please of the Croton in the foreground..Gold Dust is in the backround. Photos three and four : I.D. please. Thanks to the membership for all your help.

Attachments

• 13) CROTON GARDENS.jpg
    13) CROTON GARDENS.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 14) CROTON GARDENS.jpg
    14) CROTON GARDENS.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 105
  • 15 CROTON GARDENS.jpg
    15 CROTON GARDENS.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 16 CROTON GARDENS.jpg
    16 CROTON GARDENS.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 106
I agree with Ricky's IDs. My first Buddy came from a garden in Costa Rica. I think the climate/soil there really brings out the colors.

There were usually a few at the USF Fall Sale - before we got these two lousy winters here in FL - from a large (6 ft) one in my yard. It has been a fairly vigorous grower.

I picked up a buddy at Dolan's nursery in St. Pete a couple yrs back. I also proceeded to kill it very quickly.

Bren - I try and not focus on my negative plant happenings. Use it as a learning experience. (Easier to preach than follow) LOL :p

You have suffered two seasons of Tampa/St. Pete tundra after all. :(

Best regards, :)

Ron

Thank you so very much to all the membership that sent ID's and/or comments on my request for help. A special thank you to "Fawnridge" who I think hit them all "out of the park"!

It's taking me awhile to get my act together, but Crotons are on my list.
Your photos are beautiful. Crotons surely adds colour to a garden!
Karolyn
K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden