1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Croton Identifications Needed Please

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by donroberth, May 30, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

I am reaching out to all the membership, ladies and gentlemen of The International Croton Society, for help in identifying some of my Crotons who’s names I can’t pin down or just totally befuddle me. Even the local plant nursery persons from San Jose, Costa Rica to Jaco Beach (Pacific Ocean) can only I.D. about a 12-15 of the most popular varieties and all the rest are just “Petras”, “Croto” (Croton), local hybrids or fit into the “beats me” category.

Fotos 1 and 2 below: Is this a Charles Rutherford as shown on pg. 31 of The Book? The biggest leaf it has produced thus far is approximately 14 inches long (stem to leaf tip). Fotos 3 and 4 : Is this a Jean Frances Fascelli, Fred Sanders or other?

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      205.2 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      164.8 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      143.9 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      154.9 KB
      Views:
  2. donroberth

Fotos 1 and 2 below: Is this a Diane, Harvest Moon, Yellow Petra or other? Fotos 3-4 : For lack of a better name I call this cultivar Pink Spots. Although this is one of my favorites, I don’t have the foggiest what it’s name could be nor can I find it in The Book or any of the Croton Sites I frequent on internet. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Attached Files:

• 05.jpg
      05.jpg
      File size:
      177.1 KB
      Views:
    • 06.jpg
      06.jpg
      File size:
      172.8 KB
      Views:
    • 07-A.jpg
      07-A.jpg
      File size:
      221.4 KB
      Views:
    • 08.jpg
      08.jpg
      File size:
      189.9 KB
      Views:
  3. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

In your first post, yes, that looks like Fred Sanders.
    In your second post, I believe the yellow one is Yellow Petra if the leaves are 6" to 8". Larger, and it could be something else. I don't know what that pink one is, but if I'm ever back in Costa Rica, I'll be looking for it.

4. donroberth

"Fawnridge"...many thx for your prompt reply and valuable I.D.'s. Further to the cultivar you are identifying as Yellow Petra, the larger leaves measure 10.0 to 10.5 inches long (stem to leaf tip) and 5 inches wide. Hope this helps, Bob

5. irene_kingsley

irene_kingsley Active Member

My Fred Sanders has more yellow patches though.. But it does quite look like Fred Sanders. =)