Crape Myrtle

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I wanted to give the Black Diamond Crape Myrtle a try this spring. The leaf color has held and I will be planting this beauty in the garden soon. Here is Crimson Red now in flower.
Img_5619.jpg
Img_5620.jpg

Thanks for posting this beauty - a plant I haven't grown, seen, or even heard of. But spending my whole life in SoCal, and now Hawaii, I'm sure there are many many plants that I am totally unaware of. But that is what forums like this are for.

Dean, Crape Myrtle is a fairly common small tree or shrub types used in the S.E. US. They come in white, red, and every shade of pink and purple you can think of and a few bi-color flowers also.
crape20120624 crape myrtle.jpg CrapeMyrtlePink.jpg crape866181164_9edd8f24b3_z.jpg crapemyrtleuntitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:
For the tropical zones the Queens Crape Myrtle (aka Pride of India).
CrapeMyrtle2.jpg

The Crape Myrtles also have a very nice paper peeling type trunk.cm trunk3530365955_814b05fd8e_z.jpg Natchez.jpg

I love crepe myrtle. It reminds me of Orlando, Fl where it is planted everywhere. Especially along road ways and the mediums. You know that the growing season is cranking along when they are putting out its heavy blooms. The wood is very hard, even the smaller branches. The wood will dull you garden nippers and loppers real quick.

I had heard of them before, but never realized what they looked like. That's what is cool about gardening - it seems there are always new things to discover and appreciate.

I have no idea if they are planted in SoCal or Hawaii. Unless there is a reason they won't grow, or are invasive, they should be.

I had heard of them before, but never realized what they looked like. That's what is cool about gardening - it seems there are always new things to discover and appreciate.

I have no idea if they are planted in SoCal or Hawaii. Unless there is a reason they won't grow, or are invasive, they should be.
Dean, I did a google of Crape Myrtle in Hawaii and came up with a few hits. The Enchanting Gardens of Kula in Maui have them growing. IMO I guess with all the other great stuff you guys can grow they do not rate as a great plant.

As I suspected - those gardens in Kula are at 2500 ft. elevation - even higher than where I am, so even cooler. I was thinking they may need those cooler winter nights to be their best.

My Myrtles: Dynamite, Tuscarora, Tonto, Catawba and Natchez(?). The second bloom this summer...
Dynamite.JPG Tuscarora.JPG Tonto.JPG IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0656.JPG

Attachments

• Dynamite.JPG
    Dynamite.JPG
    510.8 KB · Views: 370
Scott, that Black Diamond is gorgeous! My Red Dynamite doesn’t seem doing very well...

I am looking for a lavender Myrtle that will resemble a Lilac to me…The Catawba didn't work.

Where can I get this Pride of India ??

Welcome back Pix! Your Myrtles look great. You will need to go a little further south to get the Pride of India as it is one for zone 10+.