Could this be The Swan ?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Possible Swan.jpg
Possible Swan2.jpg
Possible Swan3.jpg
Went to vote in a Miami-Dade County special election this morning at 7:30 am at an old Church located in Coral Gables. Leaving I noticed this croton. I am unsure as to the identification of this cultivar. The leaves I guestimate are about 10 - 12 inches long. It appears that this plant gets no fertilizer or supplemental irrigation. Could this be The Swan ? :confused:

Unfortunately my "croton eye" is restricted generally to those cultivars found at the Moose Ranch. The Moose would appreciate your help. :eek:

Please let me know what you think. :)

Last edited:
Possible Swan4.jpg
Possible Swan5.jpg
Here are a couple of more shots as an aid for identification purposes. If you enlarge the second photo here, you can see that this plant has a substantial trunk and probably been growing in this location for a decent period of time.

Of course I had to go back home and retrieve a camera. I don't usually find anything interesting when I carry it with me. :p

Please help the Moose with an ID. :cool:

Last edited:
CI Craigin.jpg
CI Craigin2.jpg
CI Craigin3.jpg
Then this looks to be C.I. Craigin as well ? Found this growing at a house in the neighborhood. It is a eastern foundation planting. The leaves are kinda out of color. Stems are thin and stretched. It appears that this croton has gone unloved for years. No fertilizer, organic material or non naturally occuring water for ages. :(

Many people in old neighborhoods do not comprehend what wonderful plants they have inherited. With some composed cow manure, fertilizer for acid loving plants and a nice layer of mulch coupled with some supplemental irrigation, this croton could thrive. ;)

I had to shoot this from a distance and over a fence. Sorry about the fuzzy pictures. :eek:

Last edited:
The Swan is in Frank Browns encylopedia (p.6) . The picture in the book is not good. With that being said what is the difference in the appearance of the two? Here is my C.I.C.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 71
and here is the WIKI picture The Swan (L) and my C.I.Craigin (R).

Attachments

• The_swan.jpg
    The_swan.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 92
Update: I ended up getting an air layer from the plant in the first post. It is happy and in the ground now. :)

As to the original plant, its still there although sadly has been severly hacked up by the unknowing and uniformed grounds crew. :(

C.I. Craigin.JPG
Update: I ended up getting an air layer from the plant in the first post. It is happy and in the ground now. :)

As to the original plant, its still there although sadly has been severly hacked up by the unknowing and uniformed grounds crew. :(

Here it is. My other air layer went to Ray. Wonder how that one is doing? It had better color than this one.

Last edited:
Update - this C.I. Craigin was relocated since its last photo. Was suffering a bit but lots of watering has helped it to rebound. I had two air layers, one I gave to Ray. I kept the one that had less remarkable variegation, did
C I Craigin.jpg
not seem to matter. Looking pretty happy and soon to be a specimen plant.

Last edited: