COSTA RICAN CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF OVALIFOLIUM

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by donroberth, Oct 23, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

WIKI: OVALIFOLIUM, Category: Small Leaves aka Cup and Saucer…the crotons with small leaves are distinguished by the more dainty and delicate older cultivars. While most small leaves are pointed, with a "drip tip" ending, some are rounded at the end of the leaf.

CROTON OVALIFOLIUM, Hortus Veitchii Catalog of PI. 1874, p. 133, fig. a very distinct form with large oval leaves, from the South Sea Islands through the late John Gould Veitch’s

ROBERTICO: Costa Rican Spanish…idiomatic: “Oreja de Chancho” (Sow’s Ear).

FOTOS 1 thru 4: Close-ups for Ana…:D

Attached Files:

2. donroberth

FOTOS 5-6-7: typical examples of Croton Clusters as displayed by Costa Rican gardeners.

Attached Files:

3. donroberth

FOTOS 8-9-10: More street-side OVALIFOLIUMS.

Attached Files:

4. donroberth

FOTOS 11-12-13: Let’s wander outside of San Jose into the country. Pic #11 is a typical country scene with a garden or a large Croton(s) out in front of this rural “Mini-Mart”…FOTOS 12 & 13 have also been taken along the road outside of the Central Valley.

Attached Files:

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

One of my favorites because this is one of the crotons that looks its best in full sun ,one tiny problem in my area is the scale loves this one almost as much as Katoni :) Thanks for pics

6. donroberth

FOTOS 17 & 18: A very handsome sport that has manifested itself on this Ovalifolium, #18 close-up of the leaves: clockwise…1:00 o’clock (yellow sport), 6:00 o’clock…long-established Ovalifolium leaves and 10:00 o’clock…an all green throw-back branch.

FOTOS: 19 & 20: Another large Ovalifolium also populated by a different but very attractive sport…#20 close-up.

Attached Files:

7. donroberth

NOTE: I recommend you click on the link below….CENTRALFLADAVE, sport getting better with age. This, in order to enjoy an interesting and “apropos banter” with FORUM members re: CROTON SPORTS…..

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?2875-Sport-getting-better-with-age&highlight=Ovalifolium+SPORTS[/url]

8. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

I see that little piggie went to market, love your work am always pleased when I see your post. I will give you something in return. Of course I don't have a name.

Attached Files:

9. donroberth

OOOPS!!! I forgot, or inadvertently jumped, FOTOS #14-15-16...

NOTE: Crotons of the World: B. Frank Brown ED. D, pg. 5. “The word “sport” is used throughout this book is the biological term for a branch which is a departure from the parent type. Episodes of occasional sports in horticulture are rare but in the case of Codiaeums they are not unusual. This provides Codiaeums with a special means of originating new forms.”

FOTOS 14-15-16: #14 a nice Ovalifolium cultivar sporting an “all green throw back branch” (Mollucanum) in the center…#15 this large cultivar has been taken over by approximately 40-50% with throw back branches…and finally #16 has lost the battle and reverted 90-95% back to its origins.

Attached Files:

10. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks, Robertico! I love to see your posts also. Gives me a glimpse of your beautiful country and how huge, tree-like and beautiful the crotons grow there. These are no exception. Great photos as always, too.:D

11. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I especially love the groupings or clusters, Robertico.:cool:

12. Kingdavid

Kingdavid Esteemed Member

Wish mine would get that big . Very nice Thanks . Beautiful pictures

13. donroberth

Sorry for the redundancy of this Ovalifolium post but I was reviewing it and accidentally sent it and didn't know how to remove it.:confused: :(

14. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Robertico - Ovalifolium is known to produce sports more readily than most other cultivars. I'm not referring to the "throw backs". These are some very mature plants. If you search very closely you may find some. Or check out others during your wanderings, you come across a very interesting one. :)

Sports happen :cool: