COSTA RICAN CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF COLUMBIANA

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by donroberth, Aug 25, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

The term, “the many faces of…” really fits this variable and capricious plant. I’m not absolutely, positively certain on a couple of these fotos, comments are welcome. Please, you won’t hurt my feelings if I have committed a mistake.

After seeing Jerry Shilling and Koki’s pix of their COLUMBIANAS on this FORUM, “the light in my belfry” finally came on. I’ve been trying to I.D. this variety in my garden for the last 4 or 5 years!

Attached Files:

2. donroberth

Following are the final 6 fotos of this submission...hope you enjoyed them. :)

Attached Files:

3. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Robertico, those are beautifully colored plants! I don't have a Columbiana but have always admired the photos of it on the forum. I know Randy has a killer one also. Some of those forum members are bound to weigh in on yours and determine which, if all are Columbiana. Anyone?

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I always enjoy the "Costa Rican Wanderings", the photos are well taken. Thanks again! One of these years I am going to take a trip to Costa Rica.

5. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

I think this might be the most confusing named variety to understand.

6. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Well, what do you all think of Robertico's plants? Are they Columbiana?

7. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

8. donroberth

Hi Ana, Scott, Jeff Searle and Marie Nock...thanks for your kind words and comments. I was hoping that some other "Expert Croton I.D.'rs" would chime-in so that I could zero-in on what I thought was COLUMBIANA from the fotos I submitted. Not to late...take an educated guess anybody :confused::confused::confused: !

9. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

Robertico,
    Pictures 3 and 6 in post 1 look like Columbiana to me. Pictures 3 and 4 in post 2 may be Columbiana - the leaves are a bit small for Columbiana but the plants look like they haven't been fed in a long while. The others may be Columbiana as well. It's very difficult to tell from pictures, different climate, soil, etc.

No one responded to my query re: the possibility of one being a Daisy Ortegas - the coloring looks right.

I love your Croton Wanderings Posts. Please wander some more!
    Marie

10. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

So, is it safe to put photos 3 and 4 in the wiki?

Anyone want to help Marie out with Daisy Ortegas? We need an entry in the wiki. Is there really a Daisy Ortegas or are they all William Craig?