COSTA RICAN CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF COLUMBIANA

donroberth

19/07/09
The term, “the many faces of…” really fits this variable and capricious plant. I’m not absolutely, positively certain on a couple of these fotos, comments are welcome. Please, you won’t hurt my feelings if I have committed a mistake.

After seeing Jerry Shilling and Koki’s pix of their COLUMBIANAS on this FORUM, “the light in my belfry” finally came on. I’ve been trying to I.D. this variety in my garden for the last 4 or 5 years!

Attachments

• 1 COLUMBIANA-TURRUCARES.jpg
    1 COLUMBIANA-TURRUCARES.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 2 COLUMBIANA-FERIA del MAIZ.jpg
    2 COLUMBIANA-FERIA del MAIZ.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 3 COLUMBIANA-TURRUCARES.jpg
    3 COLUMBIANA-TURRUCARES.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 4 COLUMBIANA-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    4 COLUMBIANA-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 89
  • 5 COLUMBIANA-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    5 COLUMBIANA-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 6 COLUMBIANA-CARIARI  BELEN.jpg
    6 COLUMBIANA-CARIARI BELEN.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 106
Following are the final 6 fotos of this submission...hope you enjoyed them. :)

Attachments

• 7 COLUMBIANA-ALAJUELA.jpg
    7 COLUMBIANA-ALAJUELA.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 8 COLUMBIANA-TURRUCARES.jpg
    8 COLUMBIANA-TURRUCARES.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 87
  • 9 COLUMBIANA-TURRUCARES.jpg
    9 COLUMBIANA-TURRUCARES.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 10 COLUMBIANA-TURRUCARES.jpg
    10 COLUMBIANA-TURRUCARES.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 11 COLUMBIANA-FERIA del MAIZ.jpg
    11 COLUMBIANA-FERIA del MAIZ.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 12 COLUMBIANA-FERIA del MAIZ.jpg
    12 COLUMBIANA-FERIA del MAIZ.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 93
Robertico, those are beautifully colored plants! I don't have a Columbiana but have always admired the photos of it on the forum. I know Randy has a killer one also. Some of those forum members are bound to weigh in on yours and determine which, if all are Columbiana. Anyone?

I always enjoy the "Costa Rican Wanderings", the photos are well taken. Thanks again! One of these years I am going to take a trip to Costa Rica.

Hi Ana, Scott, Jeff Searle and Marie Nock...thanks for your kind words and comments. I was hoping that some other "Expert Croton I.D.'rs" would chime-in so that I could zero-in on what I thought was COLUMBIANA from the fotos I submitted. Not to late...take an educated guess anybody :confused::confused::confused: !

Robertico,
Pictures 3 and 6 in post 1 look like Columbiana to me. Pictures 3 and 4 in post 2 may be Columbiana - the leaves are a bit small for Columbiana but the plants look like they haven't been fed in a long while. The others may be Columbiana as well. It's very difficult to tell from pictures, different climate, soil, etc.

No one responded to my query re: the possibility of one being a Daisy Ortegas - the coloring looks right.

I love your Croton Wanderings Posts. Please wander some more!
Marie