COSTA RICAN CROTON WANDERINGS...Snapshots from my gardens

donroberth

19/07/09
As mentioned in my last thread...here we go with photos of eight CROTON VARIETIES (both entire plant and close-up) from my garden. Although I enjoy them no matter how they’re displayed (except harshly pruned as a hedge), I am partial to the tropical style of exhibit.

I’m very jealous of my CROTONS therefore I try not to display them with competing bright colored plants in front of, behind or along side of them. The types of plants I normally use for this job are ferns, philodendrons, palms or green cordylines, etc.

1) JOHANNIS…a favorite of my wife and simply elegant.

2) JOHANNIS…a closer look. Plenty of long and interrupted leaves…a very graceful cultivar in any garden.

3) IRENE KINGSLEY aka SATAN…Aware of the IRENE KINGSLEY vs SATAN debate I planted the two next to each other.

4) IRENE KINGSLEY aka SATAN…It took awhile but the trident shaped leaf on the left (see foto #3) eventually morphed into the standard IRENE KINGSLEY on the right.

Attachments

• 1 JOHANNIS.jpg
    1 JOHANNIS.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 2 JOHANNIS.jpg
    2 JOHANNIS.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 130
  • 3 IRENE KINGSLEY aka SATAN.jpg
    3 IRENE KINGSLEY aka SATAN.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 4 IRENE KINGSLEY aka SATAN.jpg
    4 IRENE KINGSLEY aka SATAN.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 158
5) YELLOW MAMMIE…this three YELLOW MAMMIE grouping is starting to look good. With a few more flushes this “new-kid-on-the-block” should be able to hold its own with the other CROTONS.

6) YELLOW MAMMIE…look for the pinkish-rust colored under leaf in order to differentiate it from YELLOW EXCURRENS.

7) ROCIO aka EXCALIBUR…this oval shaped and autumn-hued cultivar is a welcome addition to my CROTON garden.

8) ROCIO aka EXCALIBUR…just beautiful.

Attachments

• 5 YELLOW MAMMIE.jpg
    5 YELLOW MAMMIE.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 6 YELLOW MAMMIE.jpg
    6 YELLOW MAMMIE.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 7 ROCIO aka EXCALIBUR.jpg
    7 ROCIO aka EXCALIBUR.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 153
  • 8 ROCIO aka EXCALIBUR.jpg
    8 ROCIO aka EXCALIBUR.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 147
9) MULTICOLOR

10) MULTICOLOR aka LITTLE COBRA HEAD… I’m assuming that in the oval-shaped insert appears to be a Cobra ready to strike is the reason for the nickname.

11) MRS ICETON aka IMPERIALIS or APPLE LEAF…

12) MRS ICETON…its beautifully variegated leaves will start off green and yellow gradually darken to pink and finally to purple-red and black... “purtiful”!

Attachments

• 9 MULTICOLOR aka LITTLE COBRA HEAD.jpg
    9 MULTICOLOR aka LITTLE COBRA HEAD.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 10 MULTICOLOR aka LITTLE COBRA HEAD.jpg
    10 MULTICOLOR aka LITTLE COBRA HEAD.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 11 MRS ICETON aka IMPERIALIS or APPLE LEAF.jpg
    11 MRS ICETON aka IMPERIALIS or APPLE LEAF.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 12 MRS ICETON aka IMPERIALIS of APPLE LEAF.jpg
    12 MRS ICETON aka IMPERIALIS of APPLE LEAF.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 118
13) BRAVO…one of the about half-dozen cultivars that originally turned me on to CROTONS and still remains one of my favorites.

14) BRAVO…close-up

15) KENTUCKY

16) KENTUCKY…close-up. This flush is still immature in color and will ultimately transform into orange, yellow and black as depicted in the back-round or please see photo #15.

Attachments

• 13 BRAVO.jpg
    13 BRAVO.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 113
  • 14 BRAVO DSC07461.jpg
    14 BRAVO DSC07461.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 15 KENTUCKY DSC04735.jpg
    15 KENTUCKY DSC04735.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 16 KENTUCKY.jpg
    16 KENTUCKY.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 112
Robertico,

Thanks so much for posting your beautiful crotons and for labeling them! I'm just learning, so I appreciate that. Your Rocio and Johannis are just stunning! Such a pleasure to look at them. Thanks.

Anita:rolleyes:

ANITA…welcome to the FORUM and thank you for your kind words. Hang in there…judging from the membership comments re: your photos, you have already been well received as are all “newbies” that chime in on this round-table.

KIP… I’m working on a second “Snapshots from my garden” that should be ready to submit in a couple weeks.

RANDY… Thanks. As for wide angle photos of my gardens…please give me 2 to 3 months. The reason being is that the rainy season will be starting about the end of April and everything having to do with vegetation, including CROTONS, perks up beautifully around these parts.

ANITA…welcome to the FORUM and thank you for your kind words. Hang in there…judging from the membership comments re: your photos, you have already been well received as are all “newbies” that chime in on this round-table.

KIP… I’m working on a second “Snapshots from my garden” that should be ready to submit in a couple weeks.

RANDY… Thanks. As for wide angle photos of my gardens…please give me 2 to 3 months. The reason being is that the rainy season will be starting about the end of April and everything having to do with vegetation, including CROTONS, perks up beautifully around these parts.

Robert-I've been to Costa Rica & I know how dusty & dry it can be this time of year. The closeups will do for now.:D