COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF VEITCHII

donroberth

19/07/09
INTERNATIONAL CROTON SOCIETY WIKI: "Named after a member of the Veitch family,enterprising botanists who were responsible for the contribution of crotons worldwide. They had traveled to the South Pacific and brought this hybrid back to their native England."

REF: Brown, B. Frank 1995 Crotons of the World p.22. Photograph

"Large, long leaves veined and mottled yellow, flushing pink."
REF: Reasoner's Tropical Nurseries inc, croton listing. Group 1, Common Varieties, p.2.

"Porter's Pink Veittchii - More cream and pink than the type. Very good."
"Sturrock's Narrow Leaved Veitchii - Much narrower leaves than type and stronger pink."
REF: Reasoner's Tropical Nurseries inc, croton listing. Group II, Better Standard Varieties, p.3.

THE CHRISTIAN PAPERS: VEITCHII ;- "Type I, 2 ½” X 11” , - Ground color is bright green in new leaves with midrib and veins heavily outlined and margined yellow which shades to pink and rose in the older leaves. One of the best of the standard varieties."

FOTOS: #1-2-3-4…Four close-ups for Ana. :D

Attachments

• 1 VEITHCII-CLOSEUP.jpg
    1 VEITHCII-CLOSEUP.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 2 VEITCHII-CLOSEUP.jpg
    2 VEITCHII-CLOSEUP.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 101
  • 3 VEITCHII-CLOSEUP.jpg
    3 VEITCHII-CLOSEUP.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 4 VEITCHII-CLOSEUP.jpg
    4 VEITCHII-CLOSEUP.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 122
FOTO: #5…Throw-back branch manifesting this all green sport on a VEITCHII.

FOTO: #6…More of the same as #5 but this all green sport has almost completely devoured the VEITCHII mother plant.

FOTO: #7…Another but more colorful VEITCHII SPORT in my garden…notice that I have placed an airlayer on it. I hope it keeps its present coloring and does not revert back to its origin which is not uncommon when taking an airlayer...that would be a “bummer”!

FOTO: #8…Another VEITCHII SPORT but this time even more colorful. The owner of the nursery allowed me to take the cutting as pictured in the foto inserts…WOW!

Attachments

• 5 VEITCHII SPORT-ATENAS.jpg
    5 VEITCHII SPORT-ATENAS.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 6 VEITCHII SPORTS-SANTA ANA.jpg
    6 VEITCHII SPORTS-SANTA ANA.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 7 VEITCHII SPORT-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    7 VEITCHII SPORT-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 8 VEITCHII SPORT-OROTINA NURSERY.jpg
    8 VEITCHII SPORT-OROTINA NURSERY.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 114
FOTOS: #9…Croton Cluster featuring a nice pastel and pinkish-colored VEITCHII, FOTOS: #10-11…front yard gardens also showing-off VEITCHII.

Attachments

• 9 VEITCHII-CROTON CLUSTER.jpg
    9 VEITCHII-CROTON CLUSTER.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 10 VEITCHII-ATENAS.jpg
    10 VEITCHII-ATENAS.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 124
  • 11 VEITCHII-SAN RAFAEL de ESCAZU.jpg
    11 VEITCHII-SAN RAFAEL de ESCAZU.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 122
FOTOS: #12…a nicely done garden with a VIETCHII in the center, FOTOS #13-14…2 more street side gardens.

Attachments

• 12 VEITCHII-CROTON IN GARDEN.jpg
    12 VEITCHII-CROTON IN GARDEN.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 13 VEITCHII-ALAJUELA.jpg
    13 VEITCHII-ALAJUELA.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 14 VEITCHII-LA URUCA.jpg
    14 VEITCHII-LA URUCA.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 117
FOTOS: #15-16-17…all three of these pix were taken outside the Central Valley in rural areas. NOTE: # 16…depicts both VEITCHII and MORTII for comparison purposes & #17…easily over twenty feet high, this is one humongous plant(s)! HOPE ALL OF YOU ENJOYED THIS THREAD...:)

Attachments

• 15 VEITCHII-LA GARITA.jpg
    15 VEITCHII-LA GARITA.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 109
  • 16 VEITCHII & MORTII-LA GARITA.jpg
    16 VEITCHII & MORTII-LA GARITA.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 17 VEITCHII-SANTA ANA.jpg
    17 VEITCHII-SANTA ANA.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 123
Great pics, Roberto! A well grown Veitchii is beautiful! Love your pic! We have been to Costa Rica twice, and it is my favorite destination ! Cannot wait for our next visit!

Robertico, you did it again! Wonderful photos of a lovely croton cultivar in oversized form. Seeing the Costa Rican colorful homes and gardens is fun too. I also can't wait to go back to visit your country again. For sure, it was our family's favorite vacation. We need to do it again. Thanks for taking the time to show us your photo collection.:)

Ana

Hi Judy and Ana…thanks for your comments. Judy, I agree…a well grown VEITCHII is stunning.

PALMISLAND…for your enjoyment and a better look, please see the three VEITCHII SPORT pix I have attached regarding your observation that it was "identical to MADAM BUTTERFLY". I have never seen a MADAM BUTTERFLY in person but it must be a beautiful thing.
:)

Attachments

• 1 VEITCHII SPORT.jpg
    1 VEITCHII SPORT.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 2 VEITCHII SPORT.jpg
    2 VEITCHII SPORT.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 3 VEITCHII SPORT.jpg
    3 VEITCHII SPORT.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 106