COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF STEWARTII

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by donroberth, Feb 9, 2014.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

“Very cold tolerant”
    REF: Brown, B. Frank 1995 Crotons of the World p.67.

“Type W, 3-1/2" x 10", Marking very considerably. In many specimens green predominated but in highly colored specimens the predominating color is golden yellow, marbled rich deep green. The leaf is margined rose”
    REF: Paper prepared by Wm. A. Geiger in collaboration with Mr. Christian of the Christian Nursery, Mr. Van der Lean and Mr. George L. Peacock. p.14.

“Yellow veins and margin, midrib & petiole red. the most cold resistant”
    REF: Reasoner's Tropical Nurseries inc, croton listing. Group 1, Common Varieties, p.2.

NOTE: When I selected STEWARTII and started to put this pictorial together I remembered these comments that I had read in the FORUM about a year or so ago. I couldn’t agree more with these two gentlemen.

RAY HERNANDEZ: ”What crotons do you snub as "ugly" (this term is blasphemous as no croton is ugly) or too common? A well grown Petra is ubiquitous but no less beautiful because of this?…Petra perhaps or maybe the most cold hardy crotons, Stewartii and Yellow Excurrens.”

MOOSE: “I know that some collectors may pooh-pooh the Stewartii, I happen to enjoy seeing a nicely colored up one".

If you are one of these folk, not to put anyone down, but take a look and enjoy what some Costa Rican gardeners have done with STEWARTII. These gardens are not as beautiful as some that I have seen displayed on this FORUM but none-the-less very attractive and a few unusually huge cultivars!

As Moose said, "I happen to enjoy seeing a nicely colored up one”…that goes for me too! :p

FOTOS: 1-2-3-4, four close-up fotos for Ann

Attached Files:

2. donroberth

FOTO: 05 relatively young grouping

FOTO: 06 ‘BE IT EVER SO HUMBLE THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE HOME’…with a nice CROTON in the front yard

FOTO: 07 front porch in Escazu

FOTO: 08 great place for a hammock

3. donroberth

FOTO: 09 a country residence entrance with Mortii on the left

FOTO: 10 Atenas country garden

FOTO: 11 Villa Sueños, Guachipelin

FOTO: 12 one of my favorite Costa Rica country garden pix

4. donroberth

FOTO: 13 A corner home in San Mateo…

FOTO: 14 with a bunch of Stewartii’s behind it all in a row. Let’s take a few more close-up fotos of this multitude for Ann

FOTO: 15 plenty of red petioles

Attached Files:

5. donroberth

FOTO: 16 close-up

FOTO: 17 showing off some yellow

FOTO: 18 two new flushes

FOTO: 19 pair of roosters

FOTO: 20 mature leaf cluster

Attached Files:

6. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

FOTO: 20 mature leaf cluster
    Thanks always look forward to your photos. The last shot is the best example I have ever seen.:)

7. Kingdavid

Kingdavid Esteemed Member

Super nice pictures . i wanna come to Costa Rica . Well done as always Thanks

8. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Robertico, I was just telling my husband that I love seeing the colorful and impeccably taken-care-of homes in Costa Rica that are shown in your photos. When we were there, one day we traveled in the countryside and got to see this in person. Every home and garden was so clean and people took such pride in what was theirs. I love that. I wasn't into crotons at that time, but being into gardening in general, I still appreciated that there was such variety in the crotons and that they were so colorful and large there. I thank you for your great presentation. I really appreciate the historical, informational, and personal views you give. Thank-you! Even though I already have a small Stewartii, I now want to rush out and buy another one.

9. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

:cool: Thanks for the great photos again and as always I enjoy your Costa Rica Croton Wanderings. I started 2 cuttings off a very old Stewartii that has withstood the test of cold in my area for many moons. I will be planting them in the ground this spring with hopes that they someday will look as good as those photos you have shared with us.

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Stewartii is a beautiful croton period. Because it is relatively cold hardy and an undemanding cultivar they easily found. If Exotica was found every where like Stewartii and Stewartii was the uber rare croton, we would all be looking for Stewartii.

11. donroberth

To: Native Son, Kingdavid, Annfl, Scott Mcintosh and Moose…Many thanks! I enjoy putting these pictorials together and it’s great to know all of you enjoy them also. :D