COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF PHILADELPHIA

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by donroberth, Dec 7, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

“Type Q, 2-1/2" x 7", - Generally one side lobe is pointed and the other rounded. Ground color is bright green. Generally the midrib is irregularly margined yellow and leaf dotted and splashed yellow. A very effective oak leaf. Never shows any red traits.”

REF: Paper prepared by Wm. A. Geiger in collaboration with Mr. Christian of the Christian Nursery, Mr. Van der Lean and Mr. George L. Peacock. p.13.

“Rather small, brilliant yellow leaves of oak leaf type.”

REF: Reasoner's Tropical Nurseries inc, croton listing. Group 1, Common Varieties, p.2.

NOTE: For some additional interesting reading and WIKI FORUM banter entitled “IS IT PHILADELPHIA?” and posted by CRAZY FOR CROTONS...please ctrl+click on the link below:

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?786-Is-it-Philadelphia&highlight=PHILADELPHIA

Fotos #1 thru #4…closeups for Ann :D. The PHILADELPHIAS I normally run into in my “wanderings in-country” will also often display a red to purplish petiole.

Attached Files:

2. donroberth

Fotos # 5 & 6…PHILADELPHIA: two more closeups for Ann. :D Check-out all the “freakish” lobes this variety can throw at you…both pix are from the same plant.

Foto # 7…PHILADELPHIA: often confused with LYRATUM

Foto # 8…LYRATUM aka LYRATA: often confused with PHILADELPHIA

Attached Files:

3. donroberth

Foto # 9…PHILADELPHIA: I invite you to click on this foto in order to really appreciate this little gem

Foto # 10 & 11…PHILADELPHIA: open shade, no direct sun 24-7

Attached Files:

4. donroberth

Fotos # 12-13-14…more looks at PHILADELPHIA

Attached Files:

5. donroberth

Fotos # 15-16-17...We’ll wrap up this pictorial contribution with a three (3) foto workup of the same exceptional cultivar. NOTE: That’s ANDREANUM behind the PHILADELPHIA.

Attached Files:

6. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Don Rofberto -

Great pics showing very obvious (now) differences between Philadelphia and Lyratum

7. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Robertico, GREAT photos as always, showing the salient characteristics of Philadelphia.... and Lyratum! I love your thoroughness at showing the closeups and the whole plant. Thanks to you and Randy for identifying my plant too.:D

8. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photos Robert. Being born in Philadelphia, this croton is special to me.:D