COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF MRS. FRED SANDERS

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by donroberth, Aug 31, 2014.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

MRS. FRED SANDERS- aka Earl of Derby-Category Oak Leaf

“A trilobed-leaved form of the Disraeli type, with nearly the whole central portion of the leaf-blade yellow, the margin and tips of the lobes a grassy green.” REF: Veitchs' Catlg. of Pl. 1878, p. 27.

Type Q, 4" x 10", -“ Large oak leaf variety. Same colors as Philadelphia but much larger leaf. Ground color rich clear green. Midrib zone of lower part of leaf overlaid a deep rich clear yellow sometimes spreading over most of the leaf”. REF: Paper prepared by Wm. A. Geiger in collaboration with Mr. Christian of the Christian Nursery, Mr. Van der Lean and Mr. George L. Peacock. p.12.

“Large Oak leaf, center and lobes splotched brilliant yellow.”REF: Reasoner's Tropical Nurseries inc, croton listing. Group 1, Common Varieties, p.2.

NOTE: THE CROTON SOCIETY FORUM CONTRIBUTORS...you can always count on the membership for exceptional unbiased advice and consent. J

CRAZY FOR CROTONS: “We call it Fred Sanders but the plant is named after a woman, Mrs. Fred Sanders. Per Dr. Brown's first book, it's Mrs. Fred Sanders not just Fred Sanders. Somewhere along the way, we (me included) dropped the Mrs. part.

Bad clones like the one I had, show lots of spotting like Lamar's plant. I had a specimen with one spectacular branch and the rest was mostly green with sporadic spots. Every so often, it would throw up some pathetic clustered spotting that didn't quite qualify as a splotch…

FAUNRIDGE: “This variety needs plenty of sun to maintain its color. Most of what you see in the two photos from my garden is now almost solid green because of the shade.”

FOTOS 1 thru 5: Close-ups for Ann J

FOTO 06: Robertico’s container garden

FOTO 07: Exceptional splotching

FOTO 08: Front porch planter…good morning sun

FOTO 09: Front garden

FOTO 10: San Mateo Municipal Park

Attached Files:

Kingdavid, Moose and ScotTi like this.
  2. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

FOTO 11: Front sidewalk garden

FOTO 12: Front sidewalk

FOTO 13: Front porch…gets ample morning sun

FOTO 14: Front yard garden

FOTO 15: Front sidewalk

FOTO 16: Front yard

FOTO 17: Mostly sporadic speckled leaves…strangely enough this cultivar receives sun all day

FOTO 18: This specimen’s leaves are nicely splotched

Attached Files:

Kingdavid, Moose and ScotTi like this.
  3. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

Very good sir, great work as per the norm. I was wondering in photo 14. Could you go back and check out the red plant behind Mrs. Fred. It looks like a very similar leaf shape with red and black. image.jpg

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Great pictures and a great post Robert. :)

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Lamar, Looks like a bromilaid behind the Croton in photo #14.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Great stuff Robert,this is a very nice plant once you get a good example.

7. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Thanks, I love your reports Robert. I'll be in Costa Rica in November. Headed to the Caribbean coast this time.

-Randy

8. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks, Robert, for your comments and your beautiful photos. I will put some in the wiki as Fred Sanders. However, I need help from forum members as to whether to correct it to Mrs. Fred Sanders. I've seen/heard nothing except Ray's comments you posted above about this. I got your PM, but is this enough to change this cultivar's name to Mrs. Fred Sanders? I need direction from forum members. Anything I've ever heard about this cultivar has been regarding "Fred Sanders." Anyone?

Also, I've never heard that it is synonymous with Earl of Derby. Anyone? I don't want to put things in the wiki unless we know they are facts, or at least, the general knowledge and consensus of the forum members. Thank-you!