COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF ACUBAEFOLIUM

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by donroberth, Aug 10, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

ACUBAEFOLIUM…for the longest time I thought this cultivar was GOLD DUST until Marie Nock identified it correctly for me, “the leaf is much larger and has a ruddy colored underside”, she said…thanks Marie. P.S. “don’t forget to also look for the purplish-red petiole” said Robertico (fotos 4 & 11).

Attached Files:

2. donroberth

FOTOS #13 thru #16: These two cultivars show an unusually high percentage of their leaves turning their reddish-ruddy colored under-sides toward the sun and its yellow spots appear splotched. This trait gives it a very attractive and colorful look.:)

Attached Files:

3. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

Very nice I have had this one for many years it never fails to please, I have taken several air-layers it just keeps on shining. I look forward to seeing your posts.THANK'S

4. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Robertico,

I also look forward to your posts. Your photos are wonderful. Always a lot of thought put in to show the plant's salient characteristics beautifully. I also love the photos of the monster trees. It shows us the true genetic potential these plants have in the best habitat. Thanks so much for posting.

I am going to take a break from posting photos to the wiki for a few days, maybe a week since my daughter is visiting. I definitely will put some of these beauties in. I love seeing the reddish backs and the petioles. We are learning a lot from each other! Thanks.

Ana

5. donroberth

Hello Native Son and Ana...thanks for your kind words. We will sending more of "THE MANY FACES OF... as time permits. Thx again.:)

6. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I need to get in touch with Lee and get me a Acubaefolium. Thanks for the great photos of very nice looking plants.

7. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

I got one in a 3gal. I will bring to the next meeting for you. Will take something that you would like to trade.

8. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Robert,

Thanks for all of your great pictures. It seems to be one of the more common crotons around town? It makes a good landscape croton for it's size, fast growth and durability.

9. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photos Robert.:D I've been to Costa Rica 5 times & I'm always amazed by variety of plants, from the lowland up in to the cloud forests. I'll try dig up some croton photos to post.