COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS-PUNCTATUM WITH RED PETIOLES

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by donroberth, May 15, 2016.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

I bought this cultivar (see attached photos) thinking it was Punctatum. When I went to pot it, surprise! I noticed that it had tiny bright red petioles.

To me, it looks identical to Punctatum with 3.5 inch long and a one half inch wide leaf (I suspect they will get longer with time)… plus a tiny, compact ¼ inch red petiole. Is this trait common with this variety? HELP!
    :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Looks almost like one I've been calling Goldfinger. Narrow leaves up to 9" long; very short red petioles; red petiole is more pronounced on newer leaves. A slow grower for me, but plant is in shade most of the day. Got it at a big box store when these were in commercial production some 15 years ago. Leaves are much larger than Punctatum which is a sport of Aureomaculatum which is one of the most drop dead common crotons around here.

Native son likes this.
  3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Just checked the Croton Encyclopedia and it's there as Goldfinger - also known as Goldstar Selecta. Some pics show red petiole; some don't. It's a croton......

donroberth and Native son like this.
  4. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

Phil…many thanks for your prompt “comeback”. You have helped me gain a new variety for my garden with your positive identification and very useful comments on how to recognize this plant. :):):)