Corypha utan

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by Moose, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I've had this palm in the ground for quite some time. Its really picked up its growth rate over the last couple of years. Will be mulching in this area soon so a bit of pruning to avoid all the sharp petiole thorns. It also was shading out other plants so thinning the canopy should make them happy.

9 fronds removed - the longest was 16 ft measuring from petiole base to tip of costapalmate leaf

Corypha 1.JPG

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

The newly trimmed base of the palm. Can't call it a trunk because its still a trunk less juvenile. Its diameter is still widening.

Corypha 2.JPG Corypha 3.JPG

3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Wheres the pic of the whole palm?:D Is that growable in California?

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Further up from the base ...

Corypha 4.JPG Corypha 5.JPG

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Still has 15 leaves plus a spear leaf so the trimming should not hurt the removal of 8 green leaves. I'm sure the under story plants will appreciate the additional light..

Corypha 6.JPG

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I have noticed over the last few years that the leaflets are not as deeply divided and it has evolved a more prominent costapalmate leaf form.

Corypha 7.JPG

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Looking up through the Corypha utan canopy.

Corypha 9.JPG

8. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I haven't tried one of these yet - I'm scared of monsters. :) But it's a beauty, that's for sure.

Stan - I haven't seen any in SoCal ever. There are rumors of one, but I can not confirm. I would say NoCal is a definite NoGo

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

It does become an issue of space over time and is wise to be aware of monsters. Dean - Not sure as to the size of your property and space constraints, but they are magnificent and their bold stature definitely makes a statement along the roadside frontage.

10. Dypsisdean

Well, I did go with a couple of Tahina - and I think they are in the monster category as well - and a few Borrasodendrons. But I think Corypha is top dog in Monsterville.

11. Geoff

Geoff Member

There's a thread on palm talk from last summer where Matty B, also in disbelief, photographs one about the same size in San Diego… I never would have believed it, either, had he not posted those photos.

12. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Geoff - SabalSteve on Palm Talk sent me a photo of a very nice Corypha umbraculifera growing in San Diego. I think the Talipot would not be as hardy as the utan. It appears that if given the right microclime with substantial hydration, these palms could be included some landscapes there.

13. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Here is the Corypha utan in Key West that is in full seed right now. These should be ready for harvest come end of summer. CAM01055.jpg

14. Dypsisdean

Certainly qualifies as a 'monster.'

15. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Tim - is it utan or umbraculifera ?

16. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

It was my understanding according to Andre that it is an utan. I think the thread in Palm Talk mentions that too.

17. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Oh yah, the guy who started the thread on Palm Talk said it was Talipot. Then Jeff mentioned that Andre said it definitely is Utan. Gotta trust Andre's eye. The old leaves in this photo are not very helpful.

18. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

He's also the guy who planted three Roystonea in his 3' x 20' driveway planting bed that also borders on his neighbors driveway and doesn't think that will be a problem at all.o_O

19. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

LOL - gotta love a guy who lives in a USDA zone that could grow a hedge of lipstick palms but elects to go for the Royals. I found his refusal to admit he planted the wrong palm in the wrong spot said volumes about his character ... BangHead

20. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Wonder if its started raining seeds yet? ;)