Copernicia hospita

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Copernicia hospita. Closed on my house in Sept 1994, bought this palm as a one gallon at the South Florida Palm Society Sale at Fairchild first weekend of Nov. 1994. Money was tight then so all I could afford was a one gallon plant. My son was born Nov 30, 1994 - money real tight. Planted in the Spring 1995 - pretty slow palm but worth it. I lucked in getting the silver form of Copernicia hospita. It was not very silver when I bought it. :eek:

Attachments

• C hospita 1.JPG
    C hospita 1.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 258
  • C hospita 2.JPG
    C hospita 2.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 231
  • C hospita 3.JPG
    C hospita 3.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 245
  • C hospita 4.JPG
    C hospita 4.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 224
Moose, that is a gorgeous palm. I looked and looked for this one about 7-8 years ago and was sold a palm that turned out to be a copernicia alba. I love my palm, but I've always dreamed of having the hospita. Yours is such a lovely specimen. Thanks for posting. Brought back memories. Great color.

I was so overloaded with eyeballin when I came down there I didn't even register that little beauty. When I get over this grandchild cold I would like to come back and try again. Good on you dude.....

Moose, has it seeded yet?

Short answer is no.

This palm suffered from neglect when I lost interest in the garden about 10 years ago. It also had a severe investation of ants which required me to remove the older leaf bases for treatment. Additionally, it had emerging necrotic leaves, brown rotted areas on the petioles and a severe nutritional deficencies. These problems did not manifest themselves overnight and took several years to rectify. Its now looking its best in many a year. The leaves are slowly getting larger which each new spear. They still have not returned to the grandure that this palm once had. :(

Holy Cow, that beautiful! Too bad it won't take 25 nights of temperatures in the 20's every year or I'd save up and buy one. Well, considering their value, maybe I'll just be glad my climate keeps this disease in check.