Copernicia baileyana

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSIONS OF PALMS AND CYCADS' started by Moose, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

This Copernicia baileyana was planted as a two leaf seedling directly where it is 19 years ago. After all that time, its growth rate as really increased the last three years.

Cop Base.JPG

Here is the base of the palm

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Cop 1.JPG

My son James next to the palm

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Cop 2.JPG

A better overall aspect of the Copernicia baileyana. James is 6'1" for scale.

4. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

MooseMan - Thanks for the pics and story. Palms can really make a statement you respect the time involved. Imagine James standing next to that seedling back then - if he even could have. Playful

5. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Ron, very cool. I am envious. These are the advantages that homeowners have in these regards. One can actually see the fruits of their labor come through in years. I have always rented out of necessity in Key West, and have always been hesitant to plant due to never really knowing how long I will be living at a particular location. With the majority of people only owning for several years, and houses getting flipped, many of my landscape jobs have been changed either dramatically or entirely all together with each new owner. Lots of Yankees come down here and think they want Hibiscus and Coconuts. Very, very few have the patience and understanding to appreciate what a Bailey will do for their property, and how much enjoyment can come from watching it develop over time.

6. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Tim,

At least when you travel north and stay at your "second" home, you get to enjoy a couple of palms.....or two. Lol.

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Since my last post in July, I trimmed off four more dead fronds, until today - another 9

C Bail 3.JPG

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Nice and tight freshly pruned off dead fronds trunk. The petioles are super hard and a reciprocating saw is my best friend for this task. James was at work.

C Bail 1.JPG C Bail 2.JPG

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

It may be getting a little taller. Of course a few crotons for accenting purposes.

C Bail 4.JPG C Bail 6.JPG C Bail 5.JPG

annafl likes this.
  10. Oh man, 19 years. I will be ancient in 19 years. I'd have to buy a big one from Ken to appreciate it. Not to worry, it's too cold here anyway so I will enjoy yours vicariously!