copernicia baileyana- planted in 11-08

GLORIA

26/10/08
Copernicia baileyana

I have one part of the plant which is dead.
Please take a look at this.
Gloria

Attachments

• Copernicia b.jpg
    Copernicia b.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Copernicia b2.jpg
    Copernicia b2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Copernicia b3.jpg
    Copernicia b3.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Gloria,

It's hard to tell from pics sometime. I can't tell if that new spear is brown or just an off color. If it's not brown, and if it is still moving, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The rest of the palm looks to healthy.

However, did this palm see any low 30s recently? I'm assuming you were far enough south to escape any recent cold. But I'm in Hawaii. I'll leave any other advice to the Florida guys.

From the center picture it looks as if the new growth has made some progress. That is very promising being that this is February. Copernicias are never happy about being relocated and you should expect a little shock. Their stiff fronds are beautiful until they get broken by high winds or during transplanting and it seems like one of them has been broken. I'm a little bias...because I planted it...but I think it's still doing fine. Contact me and I'll come by and take a closer look.

The plant has not been in temperatures under 40. In my opinion there appears to be new growth despite that fact that one frond died. We have had high winds in Miami and the plant does not have any real shelter from it.

Gloria,

A good trick is to "mark the spear." Take a Sharpie and right where the new spear is coming out, place a horizontal mark across it and a petiole from another frond next to it.

After a day or two you should be able to see some movement on the spear. It's when you don't see any growth at that point that you can begin to worry. As long as it is moving, it's still alive and no need to lose any sleep. :)

Below is an example of what I mean. You can see the two black marks and how they have separated. they were at the same point when originally marked.

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 15
Are you are the Gloria who I think you are? Are you growing a Corypha umbraculifera you got from Claude? Gloria, I need to see your place. You have way too much grass. Mulching and round up is where it is at! :p

Ron. :)

Ron,

These guys set up this forum and then pretty much abandoned it. So I doubt you will get an answer. The post before yours was from Feb. If you know these guys, maybe you can get it going again.

Dean - I recently joined the Board. I brought this issue up at the last meeting. Remember a camel is a horse designed by a committee. This forum is an excellent place to deseminate information about the Society. :)

Ron.

Well, you guys are welcome to use it in any matter that would help you out. As you are slowly discovering, there are many different ways that you may be able to take advantage of it.

It was my thinking that the more societies that 'congregated' in the same location, the more synergy and interest that could be generated.

Dean - I agree, however a camel is what you get when you tell a committee to design a horse. These things take time. We have people on the Board that are computer challenged. :(

Are you the Gloria that drove the Moose to Ricky and Karen's last week? If so, how did you like the crotons? If that was you, don't get too close to Moose, you just might catch that Croton Sickness! LOL

Hi there,
Attached is the copernicia almost one year after planted. It had four deformed leaves and now it seems to have three good ones. The plant is about 7 ft tall and has not gown much higher that when planted. Any comments?

Attachments

• coper.jpg
    coper.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1
  • new leaves.jpg
    new leaves.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
  • entire plant.jpg
    entire plant.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1