copernicia baileyana- planted in 11-08

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSIONS OF PALMS AND CYCADS' started by GLORIA, Feb 2, 2009.

1. GLORIA

GLORIA Member

Copernicia baileyana

I have one part of the plant which is dead.
    Please take a look at this.
    Gloria

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Gloria,

It's hard to tell from pics sometime. I can't tell if that new spear is brown or just an off color. If it's not brown, and if it is still moving, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The rest of the palm looks to healthy.

However, did this palm see any low 30s recently? I'm assuming you were far enough south to escape any recent cold. But I'm in Hawaii. I'll leave any other advice to the Florida guys.

3. Tim McKernan

Tim McKernan Member

From the center picture it looks as if the new growth has made some progress. That is very promising being that this is February. Copernicias are never happy about being relocated and you should expect a little shock. Their stiff fronds are beautiful until they get broken by high winds or during transplanting and it seems like one of them has been broken. I'm a little bias...because I planted it...but I think it's still doing fine. Contact me and I'll come by and take a closer look.

4. GLORIA

GLORIA Member

The plant has not been in temperatures under 40. In my opinion there appears to be new growth despite that fact that one frond died. We have had high winds in Miami and the plant does not have any real shelter from it.

5. Dypsisdean

Gloria,

A good trick is to "mark the spear." Take a Sharpie and right where the new spear is coming out, place a horizontal mark across it and a petiole from another frond next to it.

After a day or two you should be able to see some movement on the spear. It's when you don't see any growth at that point that you can begin to worry. As long as it is moving, it's still alive and no need to lose any sleep. :)

Below is an example of what I mean. You can see the two black marks and how they have separated. they were at the same point when originally marked.

Attached Files:

6. GLORIA

GLORIA Member

Thanks, I will try that.

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Are you are the Gloria who I think you are? Are you growing a Corypha umbraculifera you got from Claude? Gloria, I need to see your place. You have way too much grass. Mulching and round up is where it is at! :p

Ron. :)

8. Dypsisdean

Ron,

These guys set up this forum and then pretty much abandoned it. So I doubt you will get an answer. The post before yours was from Feb. If you know these guys, maybe you can get it going again.

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Dean - I recently joined the Board. I brought this issue up at the last meeting. Remember a camel is a horse designed by a committee. This forum is an excellent place to deseminate information about the Society. :)

Ron.

10. Dypsisdean

Well, you guys are welcome to use it in any matter that would help you out. As you are slowly discovering, there are many different ways that you may be able to take advantage of it.

It was my thinking that the more societies that 'congregated' in the same location, the more synergy and interest that could be generated.

11. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Dean - I agree, however a camel is what you get when you tell a committee to design a horse. These things take time. We have people on the Board that are computer challenged. :(

12. GLORIA

GLORIA Member

Dear Moose,
    Yes I am the Gloria, and as you kow the copernisia is doing much better.
    I will post a picture of it a year later.

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Alright! See you tomorrow at the palm tour. Got the guava con queso pastries from the place you recommended. :p

Thanks! Kindest regards -

Ron. :)

14. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

See Dean - Gloria responded. The Moose palm posse is everywhere :p

15. Plant Nut

Plant Nut Active Member

Are you the Gloria that drove the Moose to Ricky and Karen's last week? If so, how did you like the crotons? If that was you, don't get too close to Moose, you just might catch that Croton Sickness! LOL

16. Dypsisdean

No problems - the croton rehab facility still has some empty beds.

Good job Moose Man

17. GLORIA

GLORIA Member

Yes Palm Nut. I have the three crotons two of which are planted already.

18. GLORIA

GLORIA Member

Hi there,
    Attached is the copernicia almost one year after planted. It had four deformed leaves and now it seems to have three good ones. The plant is about 7 ft tall and has not gown much higher that when planted. Any comments?

Attached Files: