Cool weather versus benefits of outdoors??

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by RonDEZone7a, Oct 11, 2010.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. RonDEZone7a

RonDEZone7a Active Member

Dear Croton Lovers,

I have a question for you. As some of you may know, I am up north in Delaware with a decent-sized (potted) croton colllection. My goal is to keep them outside in the natural sunlight, humidity, and fresh air as late as possible. We are forcasted to get a low of 45'F one night later this week.

Given that my crotons have been outside all summer and have become accustomed to cool nights gradually, do I need to worry about a 45'F low? I of course know they will be damaged by frost and I know frost damage can occur even above 32'F, but I was wondering if I needed to worry about mid-40s for cold damage? They have already endured close to that - probably high 40s with no ill effects. What do you think is the "cut-off" point temperature-wise where I should not risk them outdoors? 40'F?

[​IMG]

2. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

While your Crotons are somewhat acclimated to your environment, they are nonetheless, a sub-tropical/tropical plant. At 45 degrees you are going to get significant leaf drop. I would bring them indoors at 50 degrees nighttime temperature.

3. Central Floridave

Central Floridave Active Member

Although they would do better in a warmer place, I wouldn't worry about 45F. Try to keep the humidity up around them.

4. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

45F does nothing to crotons here. 35F is altogether a different story and can be a problem to some (not all) cultivars. Ron I would water them that evening before the sun goes down to hydrate them for the cool night.

5. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

I do not bring anything in except for a few special varieties and that is if we are expecting 35F or below for a night. Water them well ahead of time. A cool/cold wind with very low humidity can be as damaging as the cold event. If those plants were mine and were well-aclimated to your summer/autumn climate, I would not sweat 45F.
    Both Ray and I are on the FL west coast where it is a bit cooler year round than the south east.

6. RonDEZone7a

RonDEZone7a Active Member

My crotons seem to have survived mid-40 lows OK so far - but I plan to bring them in this weekend. Just a couple more cool nights!!!

It's a big process, to bring my jungle indoors....