Connie Cutler or Colombiana?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by koki, Oct 27, 2011.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. koki

koki Active Member

Does anyone know any history or information on the croton Connie Cutler? We have an old croton, original to the house, that consistantly holds all kinds of color and variation. It was suggested that it's Colombiana, however, in the book it's more consistant to Connie Cutler page 87. The first photo is practically a dead ringer.

colombiana.jpg colombiana2.jpg colombiana3.jpg

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Sure looks like Connie Cutler to me,very nice plant!!I.m not sure I've ever seen this one before.Columbiana is a pretty variable plant but I think the leaves would be bigger if it were Columbiana.

3. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

I wish I could say, but without owning a plant myself, I just don't know. Someone that owns a C.C. please chime in. I agree, this could use some further understanding.

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Uncertain here. I believe Marie Nock may have this cultivar in her collection if my memory serves me correctly. Perhaps she will render an opinion on your plant Toby when she sees this thread. :)

It is definitely eye candy ! :cool:

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Bump for those who missed this thread. It may be safe to rule out Columbiana. :p

6. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

It's not a Connie Cutler. In fact, CC and Columbiana don't resemble eachother so I'm not sure where the confusion lies. The book's Connie Cutler photo is mislabeled.

7. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

here's a few pics of what was sold to me as Connie Cutler and that's what I've been calling it. It's been in the ground at least 5 years and is fairly slow in growth under a Chambeyronia macrocarpa. There's a 6" ruler in a few pics for scale. Columbiana is much larger - approx 9"++ leaves and has a more random blotching pattern.

The pic on p87 LL in the Book resembles Columbiana.

Attached Files:

8. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Thanks Phil! Does anyone else have this plant in their collection that could also shed some light on what really Connie Cutler looks like? I don't have it but it's on my list.

9. Crazy for Crotons

Phil, I've seen Connie Cutler in your garden but that doesn't look like it. I believe those photos are of Carmen Christian.

10. Phil Stager

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOppppss. Yes, those are pics of Catrmen Christian
    In my inventory I have a note on Columbiana - Alonzo says Yes; Bender says No; my Connie Cutler note says I got it from Toby (who started this thread...)
    onward through the fog...

11. Phil Stager

...and to add to the confusion, here's some pics of the fplant from Toby and another one with similar characteristics and growing conditions. leaves are about 9" long on a 2" petiole.

Attached Files:

12. Crazy for Crotons

Hmmm, still not what I have as Connie Cutler.

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Ray - stop being coy. :) Post a photo of yours so we can learn what a real one looks like. Did Bob Alonso confirm the ID of your plant?

You guys on the West Coast are so fortunate to have access to Bob's eye and skills. Rarely does he venture over to this side.

On the East Coast we follow Phil's mantra: Onward through the fog ... :D

14. Crazy for Crotons

Ron, by the time I get home during the week, the November sun is long gone. I still owe you guys photos of Halloween.

I talk to Bob much more than see him. He hasn't been to my garden since 2008.

15. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Ray, Please show us a photo of Connie Cutler. :)