Confession of a Crotonholic

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I took a count today of the Crotons I have acquired since the end of August when I became a Crotonholic. I now have 50 cultivars and a few I have duplicates of. I find myself looking at Crotons as I drive around, and take detours through neighborhoods to see what others have. When I am out, and I pass a nursery or garden center that I have not been into recently I stop to check for Crotons. I even stopped by a store the other day just to get another Petra to plant in the shade:). I wonder what Croton or Crotons will come home with me tomorrow?:D

I can relate Scott. Last year or two I flirted with them (thanks to Ray :D) but since this forum opened, I've really been bit hard. I am still terrible at IDing but I guess that comes with practice and time.

Brenda, Remember the side yard when you were here a few months ago? Here is what it looks like today. Gone are the Crinums, Angel Trumpets, Yellow Iris and the Oleander. (BTW I planted the Plumeri cutting in the ground today that you gave me. It flowered the entire summer.)

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 193
Scott,

I still can't believe that with that view you are planning to move.

Is there any one big reason you wish to leave, or just a lot of small ones?

Dean, I have always been fascinated with the desert landscape. When I retire I want to be able to enjoy life more, travel the world some. Lets face it to maintain a tropical landscape takes a lot of work. Yes I could get a normal size lot in a tropical place, but the desert will always be calling. There is something really peaceful about the desert. I want a few acres with sand, rocks and cacti. But that is still a few years down the road yet.When I was in Arizona a few weeks back I saw more retired people there than I see here in FL. Scott

It is much easier to take your crotons with you than your palm trees. :rolleyes:

Ron, They will be left behind, just want a few cacti :) No grass,no palms and no crotons. I can always say been there done that. :) I will enjoy this for now, and look forward to a new future adventure of life. Sorry for getting off topic here.

Hey,

It's your topic. You can take it where you want. It was I who veered off course. :)

I understand what you are saying. And there are times when I wonder why I take on so much responsibility and maintenance. But I tell myself it saves me having to join a gym. :)

Ron, They will be left behind, just want a few cacti :) No grass,no palms and no crotons. I can always say been there done that. :) I will enjoy this for now, and look forward to a new future adventure of life. Sorry for getting off topic here.

Before you move we will have to have a Croton Society send off meeting at your place. Of course air layers need to be prepared on all your crotons 3 months in advance. LOL

Life is an adventure Scott, living it is what it is all about. I am an old Florida Swamp Rat. I can see me only relocating to Hawaii, Costa Rica or Thailand when I retire. In reality that probably won't occur as I have grown attached to my plantings. When I am gone just push me through a shredder and mulch my plants. :rolleyes:

Continue planting your crotons, you are developing one hell of a great collection!

Kindest regards, :)

Ron.

Scott,

Your newly redesigned bed is off to a great start! You have a great eye for design to I know once it fills in, it will be stunning.
We'll have to swap cuttings down the road.

Glad that plumeria has done well for you too!

Scott, I'm going through a sort of plant mid-life crisis myself. I've sold many palms and many, many more will be sold. Can I interest you in a nice Iguanura for your new condo? Just kidding. The desert SW is a gorgeous place. A local Fox 13 meteorologist Howard Shapiro just retired after 35 years and is headed for Phoenix.

Scott,

Your newly redesigned bed is off to a great start! You have a great eye for design to I know once it fills in, it will be stunning.
We'll have to swap cuttings down the road.

Glad that plumeria has done well for you too!

Thanks Brenda! If you think you may be interested in Ti cuttings let me know. I will be cutting a few of them back next spring.

Scott, I'm going through a sort of plant mid-life crisis myself. I've sold many palms and many, many more will be sold. Can I interest you in a nice Iguanura for your new condo? Just kidding. The desert SW is a gorgeous place. A local Fox 13 meteorologist Howard Shapiro just retired after 35 years and is headed for Phoenix.

Ray, I saw that on the news and said to myself "lucky guy". I have seen Howard around my area, maybe I will run into him out there someday. Condo :eek: I want land!