Compte de Castelaine

Jeff Searle

26/08/08
A pretty croton which at the moment is showing lots of good color. Not much of this around it seems, better start propagating this one next spring.

Attachments

• croton soc.@Glocks 12.10 006.jpg
    croton soc.@Glocks 12.10 006.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 205
  • croton soc.@Glocks 12.10 007.jpg
    croton soc.@Glocks 12.10 007.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 191
Ray and/or Toby - any chance a rooted cutting of Compte de Castelaine is going to show up at the Croton Tour tomorrow? :confused: Don't seem to be many on this side of the State. :(

But to add to the confusion, from what I understand, there are two distinct versions of Madam Butterfly. One splotchy pink and one with more defined color variation, more like CC. Does this make sense to anyone?

I think you are correct.I have the one with splotchy pink

But to add to the confusion, from what I understand, there are two distinct versions of Madam Butterfly. One splotchy pink and one with more defined color variation, more like CC. Does this make sense to anyone?

mmebutterfly3.jpgmmebutterfly2.jpgmmebutterfly.jpg

Is this Madam Butterfly or Compte de Castelaine? I have another Madam Butterfly, the splotchy pink style, I'll take a pic soon.

Toby - those in the pics looks like Mdme. Butterfly. I've got a Compte de C in a pot and will lltake some side-by-side pics tomorrow. CdeC has a much deeper red, a stiffer and slightly larger leaf form.

DSCN3558.jpgDSCN3557.jpgDSCN3556.jpgThird pic is a pot of CdeC in front of a Madame Butterfly; second is CdeC leaf; first is Mdm. Butterfly leaves. Six inch ruler in pics for scale. CdeC leaves are longer and stiffer than MB.

I think the variety below is Compte de Castelaine. It has got leaves aprox. twice larger than Madam Butterfly’s.

Attachments

• DSC01296.jpg
    DSC01296.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC01828.jpg
    DSC01828.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC01829.jpg
    DSC01829.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 156