Codiaeum lover from Europe

Michael

15/08/09
Hi there!

My name is Michael, i have 22 y old and i live in Madeira island (portugal). I grow codiaeum since i was a kid (15 years growing them now) and with time i started to get a nice collection. I even grew a few from seed and they always come different from the parents :p

I dont know much about their nomenclature, i just learnt yesterday that they actually are classified by leaf shape! I didnt searched sooner for crotons on the web, cause i had no idea there were so many varieties and people so interested in them like I am.

Anyway here are a pictures of some of my plants. I have no idea of the names of the varieties, so if anybody could help me with it i would be gratefull. All i know is that they are all Codiaeum variegatum :p

Starting with the oldest ones i possess:

These 2 are about my age, they are the same, but one is always yellow and green while the other is yellow while young, but then the colour changes to reddish as the leaves mature
1-
IMG_3485.jpg

2-
IMG_3443.jpg

This one is also very old and tall (2 m):
3-
IMG_3444.jpg

Check out the stem at the base:
IMG_3442.jpg

Another nice one who is in a dark spot, and unfortunately the colours are not that bright:
4-
IMG_3441.jpg

This one has a lovely leaf shape and can get really colourfull in sun:
5-
IMG_3445.jpg

I had a problem with thrips on this single one this year. Crotons here are very resistant and its very rare to find them with diseases, but it sometimes can happen.

6-
IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

I bet you didnt knew there is a whole green variety of codieaeum variegatum, did you? I know it isnt as striking as the colourfull ones, but it makes a nice contrast with them!
7-
IMG_3449.jpg

The darkest crotons i have, new growth is green:
8-
IMG_3450.jpg

9-
IMG_3461.jpg

A nice yellow one that fades to orange later in the year:
10-
IMG_3451.jpg

A medium sized spotted:
11-
IMG_3453.jpg

This one is very beautiful, and gets more colour in strong light, but it is somehow finicky in growing...
12-
IMG_3452.jpg

This one was given by a neighbour, mine is still juvenile, but hers has a very deep orange-red coloration. Hopefully the new growth will get more coloured.
13-
IMG_3454.jpg

This one just started to show the true colours, untill April it was darker:
14-
IMG_3455.jpg

Another spotted one, that fades to pinkish-red when mature:
15-
IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

My mother's favourite one, large deep golden yellow leaves:
16-
IMG_3457.jpg

A narrow leaved one
17-
IMG_3458.jpg

This one is also very striking, as it fades to red upon maturity.
18-
IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

Now the small ones that are more recent and younger (many from cuttings):

I kinda like the stripe in the middle of this one:
19-
IMG_3462.jpg

A red twisted croton:
20-
IMG_3463.jpg

Yellow and green:
21-
IMG_3464.jpg

This fades to pinkish red upon maturity
22-
IMG_3465.jpg

Two different spotted ones :
23-
IMG_3467.jpg

24-
IMG_3470.jpg

A round leaved form:
25-
IMG_3468.jpg

This one has wavy margins:
26-
IMG_3471.jpg

Dont be deceived by the appearence of this one. It is a recent aquisition, as it just rooted last month. The mother plant has a striking yellow netting pattern in the leaves, but since i rooted mine in shade the new growth came up with faded yellow lines. Now im patiently waiting for the next set of leaves:p
27-
IMG_3472.jpg

One of my favourites, its has these large yellow spots:
28-
IMG_3473.jpg

Another nice orange-yellow one:
29-
IMG_3474.jpg

This one can have up to 4 differt colours in the mature leaf, but for now its still too small for that display:
30-
IMG_3477.jpg

And now my 4 absolute favourites!

I like the yellow tone of this one, as it is light and smooth (usually codiaeum are more goldish yellow)
34-
IMG_3475.jpg

This one was VERY hard to get, and i am doing the happy dance ad this tiny cutting had only one leaf, and just rooted!
35-
IMG_3484.jpg

This one has the most bright orange i've ever seen on codiaeum (but the leaves are still dark cause it has also been in shade)
36-
IMG_3466.jpg

Now the last one, its my fave variety, just about to fade from yellow to pink:
37-
IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the pics, i will take more soon to keep you updated of the progress.

Best regards
Michael

Michael,

Welcome to the Croton Forum! It's always nice to get new members from other parts of the world that show this much interest as you do. You have lots of plants, probably many of them are un-named seedlings. I did see a few in there that are known varieties. Thanks again,

Jeff

How about naming the ones you do know, please, so us newbies can start memorizing what they look like under different light conditions. The only one i new for certain is the one he described as having wavy edges and that is a piecrust.

I liked the pictures!

1,2 - Picturatum
6 - Stewartii
8 - Rheedii
9 - Mother and Daughter
10 - Golden Glow
11 - Gold Dust aka Aureo Maculatum
15 - Thanksgiving
19 - Yellow Excurrens
20 - Mammay
25 - Bogoriensis
26 - Piecrust aka Mortimer