Coccothrinax spissa

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
This is Coccothrinax spissa as seen at the IPS Biennel in the Dominican Republic close to the town of Bani . This was planted in 2006 from a one gallon container purchased at the South Florida Palm Society Sale at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden. It is fast for a Coccothrinax species, overall height is 8 ft. Very nice glaucous undersides to the leaves. :cool:

Attachments

• Coccothrinax spissa.jpg
    Coccothrinax spissa.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 9
  • Coccothrinax spissa (2).jpg
    Coccothrinax spissa (2).jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Coccothrinax spissa (3).jpg
    Coccothrinax spissa (3).jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Coccothrinax spissa (4).jpg
    Coccothrinax spissa (4).jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 7
Nice palm MooseMan. Why don't you grace up with some overall views of your garden? I like to see how people "put things together." I always learn something when I see a garden.

I too have two! I have one in the ground planted out in 2005 from a 3 gallon, and another 3 gallon in a container since 2009. The one in the ground was purpously planted along the water's edge. I know it can take the wind and salt spray. To me, it is typical growth of the genus. However, I do like the longer petioles and still awaiting that buldge in the center of the trunk to begin to form.

I too have two! I have one in the ground planted out in 2005 from a 3 gallon, and another 3 gallon in a container since 2009. The one in the ground was purpously planted along the water's edge. I know it can take the wind and salt spray. To me, it is typical growth of the genus. However, I do like the longer petioles and still awaiting that buldge in the center of the trunk to begin to form.

Rick - my trunk is very thick but no bulge yet.

Andrew - Coccothinax generally sit for a year or two before the growth starts to happen. Expect to see a new leaf every 60 days in the beginning with the spissa.

Moose, my cupularis, double crinitas and montana are not sitters--I would say cupularis has been the fastest. My spissa was given to me and was near death. It has thrown 2 new leaves since then. If you wanna talk slow, I have to mention my shade grown miraguama--very slow(compared to the other two full sun siblings), but maybe better looking in the shade?..

Moose, my cupularis, double crinitas and montana are not sitters--I would say cupularis has been the fastest. My spissa was given to me and was near death. It has thrown 2 new leaves since then. If you wanna talk slow, I have to mention my shade grown miraguama--very slow(compared to the other two full sun siblings), but maybe better looking in the shade?..

Andrew - my C. miraguama is also slow. It was planted as a one gallon 16 years ago. At about 7ft, that is less than 6 inches a year. The early years it was painfully slow. Some publications have this palm as a moderate grower, I don't agree.

C. cupularis is not real fast either. C. spissa is definitely faster. I would be a little suspicious of a real fast C. cupularis. Perhaps the C. spissa is in a recovery stage. Probably gettings its roots established before the serious growing begins. :)

Almost two years later, my Coccothrinax spissa has grown considerly and is flowering for the second time.
Waiting for the seed from the first flowering to ripen. :)

Attachments

• C spissa 1.JPG
    C spissa 1.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 3
  • C spissa 2.JPG
    C spissa 2.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 2
Almost two years later, my Coccothrinax spissa has grown considerly and is flowering for the second time.
Waiting for the seed from the first flowering to ripen. :)
Ron, that looks like a decent sized palm. What was its planted height originally, and how much has it grown in the last two years? Hopefully there aren't any other Coccothrinax species flowering right now near your palm, you know how easily they love to hybridize.

Tim - I think its grown about three feet in the last two years. The trunk has almost doubled in diameter.

No other blooming Coccothrinax species in my yard, nor anywhere in my neighborhood I believe. The Zombia has yet to flower either. This palm looks like it got self pollinated, seed should be true.