1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Christiana

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Phil Stager, May 20, 2011.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Here's one not seen too often - Christiana - sat in shade for a few years and is finally coloring up nicely. Was not affected by the past two winters. Leaves are about 9" long with 1-2" petiole.

Attached Files:

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Phil - do you know the history and or origin of this cultivar? Anybody? :confused:

Is this another prodigy of Aubrey Christian? :)

3. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Phil,

Your plant appears to be growing much nicer than mine. Lol! My plant was dug out of the collection that belonged to Robert Halgram back in the day. Unfortunately, I think because it had been hacked, chopped, cut, and mutilated on so much over the years, by the time I got it, it was mostly a stump with very few leaves/heads on it.

My plant therefore has grown very little and the wife keeps threating me with "removal" if it dosen't improve. But honey.........

Jeff

4. Phil Stager

It's an Aubrey Chnristian creation and quite slow. From a sale at USF a few years ago and ID by Johnny Shelton.

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Phil - your Christiana has simularities to the Aubrey Christian photo on page 98 of Crotons of the World book. ;)

6. Phil Stager

No surprise if from the same hybridizer (which is almost certainly is) some years back

7. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

It's a slower grower but tough as nails. Mine made it through Jan 2010 without much defoliation.

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

This pretty little rare gem is officially on the Moose Land wish list. I can find a shady location for it if I ever get lucky and acquire one! ;) I have never seen this cultivar in person. :(

9. Crazy for Crotons

Ron,

I'll air layer mine in the spring for you. It's one of the tallest in my garden. Please remind me again over the winter.

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Thank you Ray. :) Try to remind me around March - I'll get an air layer of Heaven going for you as well ! ;)

11. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Reminder Ray. :)

I'll get an air layer of Heaven going for you. :)

12. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Phil - can your Christiana support an air layer? :eek: I still don't have one :(

13. Phil Stager

Put the first one on it about a week ago. patience there, grasshopper....

14. Crazy for Crotons

Ron,

Mine has been ready. Let me know if you still want it.

15. Crazy for Crotons

OK, I guess I'll give it to someone else.

This is the kind of crap that makes me want to spend less and less time here.

16. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Yes Ray - I am still interested. I got another Heaven air layer going. Are you still interested? ;)

17. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

The Heaven was given to Ray through Phil via the Queen Mary at our last croton tour. I got the Christiana from Ray via the Queen Mary express, LOL :D

The Christiana was planted several weeks ago and is doing fine. Like many crotons that endure changes in growing conditions, it began flowering like crazy. Jeff Searle is a proponent of removing the flowers when trying to get a croton established. He is probably right to let the plant expend its energy reserves in developing new leaves rather than flowers. Ray sent me a PM saying this is a pretty tough robust growing cultivar. Going with that information, I elected to let it to continue flowering. You never know when the next great looking seedling will happen. If this was a particular hard croton to grow - I would have followed Jeff's practice. It is starting to put out some new leaves. I'll get around to posting a photo once it gets its mojo going.

By the way Ray - here is a shot of the Momma Heaven taken this morning. It always seems to look its best around this time of the year. ;) The second shot (also from this morning) is fronting a healthy Beccariophoenix alfredii.

Attached Files:

18. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Here is the Christiana I got from Ray. Its doing real well and is loving this weather! :)

Attached Files: