Chief?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by palmisland, Jul 29, 2014.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

I bought this one as "Little Chief", but I've never seen another or the name anywhere. I have this in a few locations from air layering & it colors up in either bright light or mild DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0014.JPG shade.

annafl and Moose like this.
  2. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Nice looking crotons! "Little Chief" - hmmm, looks like a marketing gimmick for an established name. Chief does well for me in shade and sun.

3. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Randy, I would say it is Chief for sure. Looks to be a dead ringer to the plant that I got from Carol.

4. Perry Edge

Perry Edge Active Member

I have a somewhat similar croton which has become more pink since it got into the ground. Bob Alonzo saw a photo of it and said he thought it might be in the Chief family. Lamar also has a similar one.

Attached Files:

5. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Well, it's certainly no marketing gimmick. This plant was acquired many years ago from an unknown source, and Bob Alonzo later told me it was not a Chief. He later saw my Chief (other plant) and said he was pretty confident that this second plant was indeed the real Chief. So the first plant which I thought had smaller leaves was then called my "little Chief". For the sole purpose for when these were being propagated. So when the day comes when an prior,established name can be placed with the plant, I would be the first to accept it.

6. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Wow, what a spectacular plant. Great, great color.

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

:GardenLovetwo thumbs up on your Little Chief there Randy! :gangnamstyle:

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Chief.JPG

This is what was given to me as plain old Chief, not the little one. It is pretty darn slow and I'm not 100 % convinced this is the historically named Chief. Calling all croton eyes, need your perspective here ...