Category:CHAMAEDOREA

I don't see the Chamadorea Cataractarum listed. This is a very popular house plant, and I would like if someone could post some info on how to best care for this palm indoors in a pot.
Thanks, jbr999

The cat palm is a great palm for indoor growing and is such because it can take the tough conditions of the not so great indoors. The one problem I've encountered with them as houseplants here in Florida is the presence of pathogenic fungi taking hold of the soil and slowly killing the palm. I've found that putting them outdoors for a few days every month mitigates this problem. In Denver, you are probably not going to have the same stuff growing in your container soil.
To get to a point though, you needn't give this palm any special consideration. Just water it when the soil starts to get a little dry. These palms live along streams in their native range and don't mind periodic inundation. feed lightly as well.
The Chamaedorea elegans is another great house palm, as is Howea forsteriana. Rhapis excelsa is another for consideration.
During your winters try to keep the palms protected from the arid indoor air. A spritz or two from a spray bottle every couple of days as well as more frequent watering should help.
Hopefully others with more indoor experience will write in.