Capt. Kidd

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Phil Stager, Aug 17, 2009.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

First two pics are of a Capt. Kidd purchased at auction at Aug 15 meeting.
    Next two pics are of a 'Capt. Kidd' purchased some years ago from vendor 57 (for some reason the tag was still on the plant). The old Capt. Kidd started out with lots of smaller dots and spots - smaller than most FDRs I've seen. However, after looking at my FDRs and old Capt. Kidd, I believe this to be normal variation due to light and other cultural conditions - some leaves or branches have big spots/dots and others have smaller ones - both on same plant.

Attached Files:

2. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Phil,

If spot size alone is enough of a variation to justify a distinction between Wizard of Oz and Queen of Siam, then the old Captain Kidd needs a new name. I have FDR and the old CK growing almost side by side and there is a difference.

Ray

3. keith

keith Active Member

There is a plant out there that looks like FDR with smaller spots. It has a name but I cant remember what it is.It looks like the one in the last two pictures. Notice more pink than the orange in your Capt. Kidd

4. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Here's a plant I have growing in deep shade. It doesn't look like FR due to the more rounded/ovate shaped leaves. The spotting also looks a bit different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]