1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone ID this one for me?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by junglegal, May 7, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

I picked this one up recently. The seller had no idea of an ID and I'm still terrible with crotons. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Based on the older leaves and the shape of the newer ones, I would say this is President Reagan. All of mine have the same leaf shape after the cold. The trident-shaped leaves have lost their shoulders.

Attached Files:

3. junglegal

Thanks Ricky!

4. Borgy230

Borgy230 Active Member

I think its "irresistible" based on the older leaves

5. Plant Nut

Plant Nut Active Member

I think it is Irresistible. In fact, I'm almost positive it is.

6. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

As they are similar in looks sometimes, I would have to agree with Rob. The leaves look to "cut" to be President Reagan.

7. junglegal

Thanks for the help guys! :D This one has grown really fast in the 4-5wks I've had it!

8. irene_kingsley

irene_kingsley Active Member

I tink this is President Reagan. My Irresistible has deeper leave lopes. Even so for the young leave. heee!

9. Borgy230

Borgy230 Active Member

Thats deffinityl Irresistable, 100%

10. Plant Nut

Plant Nut Active Member

You are right Borgy; it is definitely Irresistible! You know your crotons man! End of controversy?

11. junglegal

OK, can we put this one to bed based on the updated pic? I just updated the WIKI with the other ID'd President Reagans from Jeff Searle and Marie Nock and I still can't be sure on this one!!

Plant in question is front and center, a couple stop light leaves got in the way on the upper left. Plant gets limited mid morning sun and very filtered afternoon.

Attached Files:

• prez.jpg
      prez.jpg
      File size:
      107.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

It has some resemblance to Marie Nock's second leaf version of Sybil Griffin. Hopefully she'll see this and chime in.

13. junglegal

Thanks Ray, I've PM'd her asking her to chime in.

14. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

Bren,
    It's similar but I don't think it's the same. Has it colored up since you took the picture? Seeing it with color might help with the ID. It's a beauty - sorry I don't know it.
    Marie

15. junglegal

Thanks Marie, it actually was taken yesterday. I neglected to reset the date on my camera. I'll give it a little more sun and check back in

16. junglegal

Bump for Judy Glock since she bought my auction plant from this one.
    Since these pics, it's throwing really oak like leaves. I'll take updated pics soon but the light is really crappy right now.
    Anyone have pics of their irresistible for comparison? I've ruled out Prez Reagan, just don't see the resemblance on anything I've seen up to now. Not that my newbie observations mean squat :D

17. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here are pics of what I purchased as Pres. Reagan last fall at the USF sale. This plant is growing in heavy sun, Brens plant looks diffrent.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      173.5 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      155.4 KB
      Views:
  18. junglegal

Some updated pics from this morning...the leaves are all over the place. Broad, semi oak, oak. The only thing consistent is the spots

Attached Files:

19. junglegal

and more

Attached Files:

20. Borgy230

Borgy230 Active Member

I still say irrestiable, maybe thats sporting? look at the old leaves, the shape, pattern, colors are deffinilty Irresistable, the new ones look totally different. will they change?

21. junglegal

Rob,
    I've never seen irresistable, it's not in the wiki yet nor listed in Dr. Brown's book. Do you have a pic for comparison?

22. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Here's mine. Keep in mind that almost ALL of the leaves are from after this past winter. I cut everything back to bare stems as this plant is on the north side of the garden and was beat up by the wind. I believe you may have both President Reagan and Irresistible in the same pot. The one thing I've noticed on the Irresistible is that one shoulder is blunt and the other sharp - notice the detail in the third picture. But there are so many leaves on yours that also look like many of the President Reagans I have in the ground that I'm thinking you have 2 plants in the same pot.

Attached Files:

23. junglegal

Ricky, thanks for the pics.
    Yours look so red and more upright than mine but it could be because I did not have it in strong enough light. I've since moved it into strong morning light with dappled afternoon shade. We'll see what becomes of it.
    You may be right, there may be a couple plants in this container. There are currently 5 stems minus the one Judy bought at auction. Perhaps I'll divide them in spring and see what happens too. Maybe President Reagan hit on Irresistible ans I've got the best of both now. :p

24. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Bren - you have a good eye on purchasing some very nice crotons. I hope Santa Claus brought you some ID tags for Christmas so you can keep your ID's going. :p

25. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Irrest 1.jpg Irrest 2.jpg Irrestistable

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014