1. Please enjoy this new off-topic forum. It is open to everyone. Common sense will prevail as to what can be discussed. If any discussion becomes too controversial or offensive to some, it will be moved to the private "Talk Story" forum.

If you wish to read the more provocative topics in the private forum, please click on the "Contact Us" link in the lower right corner of any page and request admission.

(You may dismiss this notice permanently by clicking on the small "X" - upper right)
    Dismiss Notice

California's coldest days of the season next.

Discussion in 'INTERESTING, INSIGHTFUL, PROVOCATIVE, EDUCATIONAL' started by Stan, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

The reason for the season isn't to freeze tropical plants but Friday and Saturday morning will drop even beach cities to the high 30's. I see that inland as far south as San Diego could be as low as 29f..thats pretty much norcal inland valley cold. Mother Nature not playing favorites.

I will cover some things- Maridol Papaya still perfect in a so far 10b winter,and Crotons.

This the second straight year of end of December cold. By the end of the first week of January things are safe.

Native son likes this.
  2. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need some old timeie smug pots like we used in the citrus groves of central Florida. I would guess they would put you under the jail for pollution violations but you plants might survive. There has to give and take right. Seasons greeting!

3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

They've now upped the lows slightly for my backyard. One below z10b morning, still above freezing...but my banana's wont like it. 33f is still frost.
    Rained plenty today. It wasn't a cold rain. Maybe the 33f will be 36f or more.
    Last year we were having a 70f+ on Christmas Eve,and Christmas day a sunny 66f.
    If this year stays frost free and with lots of snow and rains? Best of both worlds.

4. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

This morning was 39f. So,now its Saturday morning to keep an eye out.

5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I seem to remember that traditionally, for SoCal, the four weeks beginning at Christman held the most potential for a killer freeze. But then again, the old timers will remember the Valentine's Day massacre in SoCal - which I think was in the 70s - a short time before I planted my first rare palms - which many were killed in the freeze of 79-80.

It always reminded me of the movie Ten Commandments (always showing around Christmas), and the Passover - with the cold coming down and me huddled inside hoping it would passover my "first borns."

6. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

HA- I know,us Cali people with our weather OCD. Its part of the fun. This morning- again- not nearly as cold as predicted at 37f. It was supposed to clip the freezing mark and Accuweather ( they never are) had listed 29f a few days ago. A tiny breeze kept things "toasty".
    This is looking like a 10 b winter season. My Banana's- Ice Cream and Abyssinian- are fine. The abby looks a bit winter worn. Thats supposed to be a high elevation banana,yet is more sensitive to cold then the Ice Cream/Java.
    So Dean,did you suffer a brutal 72 low?:FastGrow

7. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

We had the first z10a temp. All the weather services disagree. One says 31f other up to 36f. I would go with 33.5-lol..cold enough to give banana leafs a singe...not black..but off green right now.
    Anything not banana looks ok. Mammy holding up. Plumeria obtusa- still evergreen and I never covered it on the coldest night of the year- go figure.
    Yeah,it wasnt a deep frost. In other years my Pachypodiums would get burned,My potted desert Ficus..anyways,all ok.

8. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

First night into the high 50s a few days ago - had to put a few extra logs into the wood stove (we have no heat and no insulation) Brutal :)

9. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

I tell ya Dean,I have watched every single episode of Hawaiian Life on HGTV. I've seen those wood stoves where the "mountain people" live.
    The low elevation people do get to put there bathrooms-showers outside with no roofs.
    I imagine a Hawaiian home could be very eco friendly in not needing excess wood to build.
    I have or had a Berkeley friend who went to Hawaii ten years ago for the first time. She came back- and put her house up for sale. She couldn't move fast enough. I had just did a tropical landscape for her a few month earlier.
    Shes enjoying the real in thing in a condo. Plays in the water every day she tells me!