California Plumeria growing...

Stan

17/04/14
I've grown 'Celadine' aka "Graveyard Plumeria" since 1998 outdoors..most years potted,some in ground. Its done much better potted. Soil gets much warmer. BUT, I ordered in March a Plumeria obtusa,and it came with P.rubra 'Royal Hawaiian' cutting. Both bare stems. Right now,the P.obtusa has leafed out a little faster,and decided to grow three branches from the get go. Who thinks they know what the hardiest varietys are?
How fussy is P.obtusa? It makes ( in photos) a great looking sculptural plant. Is it a good bloomer in less then hot areas? Any blooms at all?lol. Maybe that's the real question.

Wish I could tell you Stan. All I know is that I have trouble here getting Plumeria to flower. It is a little too cool - never getting over 80ºF. And a little too wet as well. But down where it is close to 90ºF a lot and rarely much below 65ºF at night - and super dry - they thrive like a weed. Hot and dry is the key to Plumeria.

I have my work cut out for me.Artist Getting what looks good in the tropics looking good in our 75f summers. The bay area cuts it so close to many tropicals. I have noticed,when they do bloom here,they then will skip blooming the next year. Growing foliage most of the summer..then ending with a bloom bud...that is what develops the next summer with little plant growth.
I need a greenhouse.:taz:

In Tampa when winter gets cold the tips rot. There is a grower east of here that uses black landscape cloth to raise the temp. I've also seen trees in St. Pete that are half over black top and half over grass and the black top side has much more growth.

I notice Koki,that in winter its VERY important that marginals get winter sun down to soil level. Its not just that it warms the soil early,but I think that early morning sun and all day if possible, drys out things near the bases of everything marginal. Because of home,driveway and other plants..those prime spots got used up by me already. I need to remove the boring plants that I put in as part of learning.
I might try again in ground with Plumeria- next year. Only,with real changes in how its grown. A raised bed and any other way to reflect heat.
You cant just dig a hole and plant like in San Diego!

Stan, I grow a few Plumeria here in Tampa. I have 2 that do really well for me and P. pudica with a fiddle shape leaf is the top performer. I cut the plant back pretty heavy every spring and it makes a quick comeback and will flower for a few months. P. pudica is said to flower for 10 months in a zone 10 climate. I have had it flower in Dec. here in the cool as long as it has not been really cold and frosty. I have a common yellow one that was given to me as a gift that is in a shady area that flowers really well for me also.

:)
Img_5800.jpg
Img_5805.jpg

Well,Celadine is ready to bloom. From a plant that nearly rotted on me to a big cutting that re rooted. Plumeria obtusa looks great. Glossy leaves. No bloom so far. But,it was a bare cutting two months ago.
This is the time of year you feel like anything can be grown.

Plumeria was the first thing I smelled in my first minute in Hawaii back in 1960. Back then everyone off the plane got a plumeria lei. And it's funny how smells stay with you. Plumeria is Hawaii for me still to this day. Even in SoCal when smelling a flower I am instantly transported to Hawaii in my mind.

I have had this one in the garden for over a dozen years. This one has a slight scent that is often noticed in the cooler parts of the year in the mornings and evenings.
IMG_6640.JPG

Thats a beauty Scott. I like P.pudica..another never for sale here ..thank you Ebay.

And if any SF bay areans are reading this..try P.obtusa. Palmbob says they do better in California winters then P.rubra.
I like very much the growth its done over just a few weeks of summer.

Here is the best shot of the flowers on the P. pudica I can get. Photos taken from second story window looking down by garage gutter line.
Img_6684.jpg
IMG_6685.JPG

Scott,are those evergreen Plumeria's?
wow- very dark green foliage. Too late this year. But in late winter..I want to order one.

Stan, Yes the P. pudica holds on to its leaves unless we get a hard freeze.

Wish I could tell you Stan. All I know is that I have trouble here getting Plumeria to flower. It is a little too cool - never getting over 80ºF. And a little too wet as well. But down where it is close to 90ºF a lot and rarely much below 65ºF at night - and super dry - they thrive like a weed. Hot and dry is the key to Plumeria.

of all my plants my plumerias are the only ones i completely ignore, i have one medium sized one planted that isn't on the drip system and rarely gets any water. cuttings when i prune are put into 1gal pots and are also rarely watered and grow easily. whenever someone says they don't have a green thumb i give them a plumeria :)

Kenny- how about P.obtusa? Mine because of the lowering fall sun was now in half day shade...it spotted and turned a bit yellow...so I moved it (its in a pot) to a spot that still gets sun almost the whole day...and looks better. P.rubra in the first spot? Still look good. P.obtusa might be fussy.

Kenny- how about P.obtusa? Mine because of the lowering fall sun was now in half day shade...it spotted and turned a bit yellow...so I moved it (its in a pot) to a spot that still gets sun almost the whole day...and looks better. P.rubra in the first spot? Still look good. P.obtusa might be fussy.

honestly i don't know my plumeria varieties, I'm going to post up mine since there's still flowers on it to see if anyone can identify it since I like to know exactly what my plants are. the one i have planted is in all day full sun all year