Calathea

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
How could I refuse not buying this beauty. I have never tried growing a Calathea and understand they can be a bit fussy. Anyone have experience with them?
pizap.com14560826809321.jpg

pizap.com14560827777981.jpg

I'll take some pics of a few I have. Some are like weeds (but pretty weeds), and some have been fussy. Some have been attractive as babies, and then lose some of the coloration and get bigger than what you would have imagined. If anyone is interested, I can list a few of the easy pretty ones for auction. They make a "plantlet" at the end of the flower - so easy to ship and propogate.

I'll post some pics tomorrow - too busy today. :)

A little late on my promise to post some photos, but better late than never. Here are three different Calatheas that have pretty much turned into weeds. All of these are from bits and pieces that fell on the ground from removing larger plants. Don't get me wrong, they are pretty, and two of them get nice flowers, so they are a great addition to the garden. And sometimes "fast and easy" is just what you need. But it puts an end to the belief that all of these are touchy and hard to grow.

IMG_2732.jpg IMG_2734.jpg IMG_2735.jpg IMG_2737.jpg IMG_2740.jpg

The last is an easy coastal valley grower in California... to farther inland in soucal. The Stromanthe Tricolor? Its hardy ONLY IF you have very hot summers. I know the same soucal mild areas that seem semi tropical get..straggly growth,die back,straggly growth. Like those palms so tender- but a bit hardy do..grow just enough over summer then start the cycle when winter comes around. I know Tri-color can make it through a winter even here. But Bay Area summers are too cool for much growth. We don't have warm shade.
The first might be a strict greenhouse plant. I haven't tried that one. It could surprise. I have my doubts..since you don't see ANY photos of (plants like ) them other then the lattice house at Balboa Park. How many have that?