Brahea? plus bonus palms.

Stan

17/04/14
I only know the two main sp. Or is this something else?
IMG_2498.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg
IMG_2475.jpg
IMG_2468.jpg
IMG_2477.jpg

Wow - some nice pics. But I have only grown one Brahea in my entire palm career - a Brahea nitida.

But these pics make me ask myself why. I guess it's the old saying. "So many species, so little time."

So, in other words Stan - I can't help with your question. :)

I kept looking at that lush green double palm, every frond perfect green. It looks Dean like what you would see in Hawaii...I imagine.
Heres a Sabal Birmingham I was told. Hardy to zone 7!
IMG_2484.jpg

A few more. The combo of colorful temperate tree's turning color in fall with a palm collection..well,where else do you see that?
IMG_2496.jpg
IMG_2499.jpg
IMG_2506.JPG
IMG_2471.jpg
IMG_2509.jpg

Thanks Dean,I appreciate that. Its the same camera. A different setting and I also sharpen as much as I can since something is lost on the transfer from my PC to plant boards.
Good eye. I think I will leave it on that setting!

I've been informed by the grower,Brahea brandeegeeii. Great looking palm.

Thanks Keith. We have another mini hardy palm garden at Chabot college in Hayward that was started by the palm society in the 1980's. Then,4 years or so ago,a second planting with more tender palms. Hedescepe,Mountain palms. Even a Pritchardia. Christmas break I can walk around and take photo's to post. Those palms also have temperate plants to blend with.
It also has the prettiest Brahea 'Clara' you will ever see. Somebody always beats me to seeds of that one.

Nelson Kirk aka Swamptree Nelly is the originator of those palm plantings Ed. Many he grew from seed,others were donated by nurseries or palm society members. I was the one who suggested Queen palms- like that or not-lol. Looking at them? I cant believe that its been that long since I talked to Nelson at the park. He also planted the Bald Cypress,the Auracaria's,Jacaranda's,Brachychiton and Silk Floss tree's. There is no other place in the bay area to see all those in one planting.
He also on the other side of the park planted Ficus macrophylla...a gargantuan Ficus to be.

Thanks Keith. We have another mini hardy palm garden at Chabot college in Hayward that was started by the palm society in the 1980's. Then,4 years or so ago,a second planting with more tender palms. Hedescepe,Mountain palms. Even a Pritchardia. Christmas break I can walk around and take photo's to post. Those palms also have temperate plants to blend with.
It also has the prettiest Brahea 'Clara' you will ever see. Somebody always beats me to seeds of that one.

I look forward to the B Clara pix, Stan. That's one we might be able to grow here. I have Brahea decumbens in the ground (for about a year), and it hasn't lost a leaf yet! We need more zone 9a hardy species here.