Brahea? plus bonus palms.

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by Stan, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

I only know the two main sp. Or is this something else?
    IMG_2498.jpg IMG_2479.jpg IMG_2475.jpg IMG_2468.jpg IMG_2477.jpg

Dypsisdean likes this.
  2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Wow - some nice pics. But I have only grown one Brahea in my entire palm career - a Brahea nitida.

But these pics make me ask myself why. I guess it's the old saying. "So many species, so little time."

So, in other words Stan - I can't help with your question. :)

3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

I kept looking at that lush green double palm, every frond perfect green. It looks Dean like what you would see in Hawaii...I imagine.
    Heres a Sabal Birmingham I was told. Hardy to zone 7!
    IMG_2484.jpg

4. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

A few more. The combo of colorful temperate tree's turning color in fall with a palm collection..well,where else do you see that?
    IMG_2496.jpg IMG_2499.jpg IMG_2506.JPG IMG_2471.jpg IMG_2509.jpg

Dypsisdean likes this.
  5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I haven't seen shadows that long in a few years now. :)

Did you get a new camera - those are some quality pics?

6. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Thanks Dean,I appreciate that. Its the same camera. A different setting and I also sharpen as much as I can since something is lost on the transfer from my PC to plant boards.
    Good eye. I think I will leave it on that setting!

7. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

I've been informed by the grower,Brahea brandeegeeii. Great looking palm.

8. KeithinSoJax

KeithinSoJax Member

Stan, the photo of the Brahea with the Redwood and Pines (Canariensis, right) is really one of horticultural juxtaposition. I like that.

9. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Thanks Keith. We have another mini hardy palm garden at Chabot college in Hayward that was started by the palm society in the 1980's. Then,4 years or so ago,a second planting with more tender palms. Hedescepe,Mountain palms. Even a Pritchardia. Christmas break I can walk around and take photo's to post. Those palms also have temperate plants to blend with.
    It also has the prettiest Brahea 'Clara' you will ever see. Somebody always beats me to seeds of that one.

10. edric

edric Active Member

Hi Stan, thoat is a fine collection you've got there, Ed

11. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Nelson Kirk aka Swamptree Nelly is the originator of those palm plantings Ed. Many he grew from seed,others were donated by nurseries or palm society members. I was the one who suggested Queen palms- like that or not-lol. Looking at them? I cant believe that its been that long since I talked to Nelson at the park. He also planted the Bald Cypress,the Auracaria's,Jacaranda's,Brachychiton and Silk Floss tree's. There is no other place in the bay area to see all those in one planting.
    He also on the other side of the park planted Ficus macrophylla...a gargantuan Ficus to be.

12. I look forward to the B Clara pix, Stan. That's one we might be able to grow here. I have Brahea decumbens in the ground (for about a year), and it hasn't lost a leaf yet! We need more zone 9a hardy species here.