Bob Sabourne Hybrid

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by kwtimo, Mar 29, 2016.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

20160328_174653_HDR.jpg 20160328_174541_HDR.jpg 20160328_174456_HDR.jpg 20160328_174449_HDR.jpg 20160328_174434_HDR.jpg

keith likes this.
  2. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

I got this plant from Randy sometime ago, and he warned me of its painfully slow growth habit. After seeing pictures of his plant though, I decided it would be worth the effort. It has sure taken its time, but it has definitely been rewarding having success with a challenging plant.

JoseLopez likes this.
  3. JoseLopez

JoseLopez Well-Known Member

That is absolutely beautiful . I have one that us planted in the ground and grows really fast.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Bob Sabourne is a great plant but glacially slow.If yours is fast Jose, it probably is not Sabourne.I will try and post a pic of my 3 year old example but it is not much bigger than Tim's

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

My 3 year old plant that gets tons of water and fertilizer sabourne.jpg

kwtimo likes this.
  6. JoseLopez

image.jpeg I know sound strange. for you mike what my plant has maybe more oxigen and the root my soil was new when I planted and probably soil i very compact and don't easy filter the water through the root This picture is from January2015

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    Kingdavid and kwtimo like this.
  7. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Beautiful plants. Is Bob Sabourne Hybrid the real name for the plant? Any history behind it? Bob Sabourne is the hybridizer, I gather, right?

8. JoseLopez

Anna, i remember I talked to Bob about hybridizing and he told me that he doesn't make seedlings because 99 percent of the seedlings come out with less potential than the parents so when i first saw this plant in the summer, it was very interesting and he doesn't know if it's a seedling or he obtained it from somewhere else. It's a mystery, it's called that because it is in his garden. He has an incredible collection of plants so it might have grown there.

9. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

This is a very nice hybrid. Thanks for posting your pictures Tim, Jose and Mike. They all look to be the same cultivar. But remember guys, what one of us thinks something is rather slow in growth, the next person might think it's not so slow. And this just could be their idea of what they think is "slow". And then cultural methods, lighting, fertilizing, water, etc all plays a part too.

JoseLopez likes this.
  10. keith

keith Active Member

Tim, is this the same plant I bought at the auction or do you think I got Tali

11. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Keith, I don't think you got this plant. The plant you got looked like either Tali or October Surprise to me, but I heard some people debating if it was actually either one of those too. From what I have heard, Tali is a Stan Wood seedling, and October Surprise is supposedly a West Coast plant. Go figure, confusion over a crotono_O! Regardless, you got a sweet looking croton that you outbid me on!

12. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Tim,
    Nobody at the tour could ID a plant brought as to wheather or not it was a Tali???

13. keith

keith Active Member

Jose, you should root one of yours and bring it to the next auction.

14. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Nobody could agree apparently. My first thought was either Tali or October Surprise. Someone else chimed in that is supposedly was not, and the plant was up for auction at that time, so there was no further discussion. Keith was lucky enough to get the winning bid. Keith, who brought the plant to the auction?

15. keith

keith Active Member

I think it was Randy

16. keith

keith Active Member

Tim, I say Randy--- but I was unloading my wallet so fast, who knows! Judy had the nicest Monarch, and I went there hoping to find one, but I had to save my money for one of Georges hybrids-- the last plant of the auction.

17. JoseLopez

For sure Keith. I will root both, Tali and Bob hybrid, and take to next auction. Believe me, the plants are different. Tali does not have the "funky" shaped leaves as Bob does.

18. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

That is one good looking plant!

19. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Keith, can you please post a picture of the plant you got at the auction?

20. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Ok. Here it is. I say Tali or October Surprise. What say you? IMG_7616.jpg IMG_7615.jpg

21. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Mine came directly from Bob Sabourn's garden & the plant Keith & Tim have are from the same. I have a Tali also & the Tali is less "curvy" than the Bob.

22. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Randy, I'm a little confused. Just to clarify things, are you saying that the croton pictured in post #20 that Keith won in the auction came from you and is a Bob Sabourne Hybrid?

23. palmisland

Yes, I can even see my metal tag in the pot.

24. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Thanks Randy!

25. palmisland

IMG_0844.JPG IMG_0878.JPG DSC_0039.JPG DSC_0071.JPG IMG_0878.JPG DSC_0039.JPG DSC_0071.JPG These were taken at Bob Sabourne's garden

Native son and kwtimo like this.