Bob Halgrim #3 (B.H. #3)

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by kwtimo, Mar 28, 2016.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

This nice looking croton is in the Jeff Searle garden. He had a couple available at the most recent Extravaganza. I always admire it when we are touring through that part of the property. Good color, nice sized leaves, and a decent growth rate make it a desirable cultivar. Jeff will have to fill in the history. 20160304_180110_HDR.jpg 20160304_180139_HDR.jpg 20160304_180119_HDR.jpg 20160304_180158_HDR.jpg 20160304_180058_HDR.jpg

2. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

It looks a lot like Big Red doesn't it?

JoseLopez likes this.
  3. JoseLopez

JoseLopez Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting these pictures . Now I have a idea on how mine will grow and thank you for suggesting me last time to get this croton.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  4. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Is the full name of this plant Bob Halgrim No. 3? Not Robert Halgrim No. 3? Anyone have any other info about this plant or other photos?

JoseLopez likes this.
  5. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Marie,

You could be very well right. I never had a croton called Big Red or has seen one called that so I have nothing to compare this with. The history behind my plant is, it was given to me by a woman from the Bromeliad Society that had came through our yard many years ago on a tour. I remember her telling me it was a Davis plant she thought, but came out of Halgrim's yard at some point of time. That's why I named it BH #3. Who really knows what the correct name should be. I'm certainly up for putting the correct name on it, if warranted. Until I received the plant, I had never seen it before anywhere else.

6. JoseLopez

JoseLopez Well-Known Member

Thank you Jeff for your information, at least we know more about this croton.