1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Black Prince, page 60

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by junglegal, Feb 9, 2011.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

On page 60, Dr. Brown discusses a croton popular in Taiwan called Black Prince.
    He goes on to say he has named a popular sport of this plant 'Amboina' but he does not include pictures of either. Does anyone have a photo of either that they can share?

I found it interesting that the popular Mrs. Iceton is a sport of Black Prince too.

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I was under the impression that Ovalifolium was the Black Prince since the underleaves turn dark with age?

3. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I recall this one being called "The Black Prince" by Mark Peters, who gave it to me. Of course, being on the north side of the garden, it looks like crap right now, but it's got an interrupted leaf and deep black/purple color. The main part of the leaf has that characteristic round Thai shape as well as several oval or oblong sports.

Attached Files:

4. junglegal

That's pretty funky looking Ricky. If that is the plant in question, it's hard to believe Mrs. Iceton came from that!

5. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

After reading the description in The Book, mine is certainly NOT the plant Dr. Brown is describing. Must just be some other Thai hybrid.

6. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Anyone know someone living in Taiwan?:)

7. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

Earlier I googled Taiwan codiaeum croton etc and tried to find something like the book described, but no luck...

8. junglegal

Strange he would devote two paragraphs to this plant, mention he named a sport of it & how popular it is then not include photos.

Jeff,
    We need new members in Taiwan!

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Irene Kingsley is one of this forum's members from Singapore, perhaps she may have the answer? :rolleyes:

10. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

I had the exact same thought when I first read that...
    And then many of the crotons that are pictured are not mentioned anywhere in the text... :confused:
    Don't get me wrong, I still love the book!

11. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Then there's Magnolaefolium. It's an Ovalifolium that turns more rose/red as the leaf matures.

12. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

Today I was reading about the sports of "Amboina" .... and did a search on the forum, and this was the only thread discussing the croton, so thought I would see if anyone else had pictures, or info regarding this croton Dr. Brown mentions in his book.