1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Bismarckia growth

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by ScotTi, Sep 30, 2008.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

This palm was planted from 5gal pot in 2000. Pictures show growth 2004 (1st pic) and now 2008.

Attached Files:

2. Scott,

Congratulations, this is nice palm .
    I see they are planting more Bismarckias in Costa Rica too, mostly as a centerpiece ,they are outstanding because of their metallic shine .

Saludos

3. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Good Job Scott,

I wish more people would keep track and post more "before and after" pics. Me included.

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

When I purchased the Bismarckia in 2000 they were hard to get. Now I see them planted in public places. This year they put in a Hartline Bus Transfer Station a few miles from me and planted around 14 Bismarckias in the landscape. All have aprox. 12' of clear trunks. I need to get a picture of them,it really is eye catching. I also have 2 other Bismarckias but they have not grown as fast.

Attached Files:

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

All grown up and she is still a virgin palm.

Attached Files:

6. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Awesome..one of my favorite palms. I planted one in my front yard. Had a bit of set back from the winter but is pushing on. I wish these were planted more often in St. Pete.

7. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

I think that one's "found" the lake and is drinking to the fullest.

8. Dypsisdean

Still one of my favorite habitat pics.

A vast plateau of Bismarkias in Madagascar

Attached Files:

9. Peachy

Peachy Active Member

mine has been in the ground 5 years now and still yet to trunk....bloody thing is taking forever.
    Peachy

10. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here are 2 more of my Bismarckias, the growth rate has been slower on these 2. These have received the same care as the larger one. The growth rate on these picked up in the last 2 years. At least I can walk under them now.

Attached Files:

11. Jane_Whitt

Jane_Whitt Member

Very attractive Palm

12. amazondk

amazondk Well-Known Member

Dean,

The trees in the picture seem to be just growing randomly in the field. Is there any relationship to damp spots or the like. They sure do seem to be a tough palm. Mine do well in our dry season which can be brutal.

dk

13. Dypsisdean

Sorry Don - not my pic. That is my SoCal friend Gary Levine's pic from his trip to Madagascar. And I doubt he knows the answer - but I could be wrong. I imagined that as a pic from the road as he was driving along. The only thing I remember is that he said these type of areas were burned a lot of the time.

14. Lanthinum

Lanthinum Member

These pictures are really great. The palms look very healthy. The leaves are great! It is very elegant to look at.

15. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

My Bizzy boy coming into flower last year helped my Bizzy girl. The lawn is glow in purple blades. I must have mowed them once before noticing them. Img_6670.jpg Img_6673.jpg Img_6672.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  16. Dypsisdean

It's good to know this is one of those palms that will probably always be around due to how prolific they can be.