big crotons in my neighborhood

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by sick1166, Jan 18, 2011.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. sick1166

sick1166 Banned

any names on these would be a help and how long does a 3 gallon take to grow to this size ? any ideas

Attached Files:

2. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

L to R looks like: Reliance (aka Willie) - a sport from one of the Coppinger varieties
    Punctatum - a sport of Aureomaculatum
    Stewartii
    Andreanum

Judging by the trunk diameter in the first pics, probably 10 + years; mayfbe less w/ lotsa TLC and Warm weather

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Andy- Phil is dead on with his ID's in my opinion! :eek:

4. sick1166

sick1166 Banned

thanks phil and ron i know these are common compared to what you have but i love the size and will probably snag some cuttings
    well like my palms i guess i gotta wait and wait and wait and weed, mulch, fertilize, oh and wait some more, time does seem to go by faster as i get older

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Andy - believe it or not, I don't have a Stewartii. I would love to have one, just have not found one available yet. This is reportedly the cold hardiest of all varieties. A classic that should be in every crotonhead's garden in my opinion. :)

6. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Moose - I have 4 Stewartii in the ground. Yes, they are cold tolerant, but not drought tolerant. The one in the front of the house, the gets the least water and the most sun, always looks like crap. The three in half shade in the middle of the garden, right near a knocker head, grow great. One of the largest ones is starting to block a pathway and I was going to trim it. I'll tie it back and take cuttings in mid-March.