Beauty Of Wynmere ?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Nov 26, 2010.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Is anyone growing Beauty of Wynmere? It is described by Dr. Frank Brown in his first book on page 112.

"Mottled cream and pink leaves, vivid carmine reverse. Sold by the Royal Palm Nursery (Oneco, Florida). Introduction ate unkown."

I would love to see a picture of this croton! Hopefully it has survived and is still being cultivated in someone's garden. ;)

Ron. :)

Attached Files:

2. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Ron, put the old book down and step away before you hurt yourself. My eyes were glazed over the first time I glanced through that book wondering what Edna and Magnificum looked like. Unfortunately, most of the uncommon varieties may be lost or unidentifiable, at least in the short term. Bob Alonzo and perhaps Johnny Shelton could identify many of these very rare varieties if they saw them. As much as I loved that book and understood the printing limitations of the time, it did nothing but frustrate. You could literally look at any plant in your garden and make the potential description provided fit. You thought you had a positve ID until someone told you otherwise. I now look at the book as a historical reference and appreciate it for what it is. I have a pretty good feeling many of the plants we know well by name may have had older names and we don't even know it. This is the kind of thing I spend hours discussing with Bob.

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

So Beauty of Wynmere is no longer is what you are saying? Or if someone had one, there is no one who could make a positive I.D. ? :confused:

Should I give up sitting on Santa's lap this year asking for a Beauty of Wynmere? :(

4. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

If it is out there, only a few people would know what it is. Some of these plants we discuss that cannot be identified and slap new names on could be some of these older cultivars. That's why I hesitate to name anything that cannot be confirmed a new seedling.

5. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Exactly, we have basically lost over time some of the leading croton authorities of their time. And, with them gone, many of these old NAMED varities are gone too. It's really a sad,sad thing.