1. Please enjoy this new off-topic forum. It is open to everyone. Common sense will prevail as to what can be discussed. If any discussion becomes too controversial or offensive to some, it will be moved to the private "Talk Story" forum.

If you wish to read the more provocative topics in the private forum, please click on the "Contact Us" link in the lower right corner of any page and request admission.

(You may dismiss this notice permanently by clicking on the small "X" - upper right)
    Dismiss Notice

Beautiful palm garden...vs collectors Palm Gardens..

Discussion in 'INTERESTING, INSIGHTFUL, PROVOCATIVE, EDUCATIONAL' started by Stan, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

I was watching a tv show on buying a multimillion dollar home in San Diego. The garden had 30 or more my guess- full grown and cleaned Mexican fan palms...under them many Cycas circinalis and a few Encephalartos species..with the required pool and lush lawns.
    Would you appreciate that as a great garden?...nothing rare. Visually it was stunning..the Washys shone waxy fronds. Not a brown or yellow frond on them or the cycads. When they showed a view of the garden from a wall of glass on the home...you could have sworn it was coconut palms from the bottom few feet of trunks,as the Washys were planted in groups and doubles..so some grew with a slight curve.
    What do you think?

2. Jerry@TreeZoo

Jerry@TreeZoo Well-Known Member

The Parthenon is visually stunning, but I would not want to live in it. I would be bored to tears with the landscape you described.

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

To a non-plant person, the described garden would seem like a tropical oasis. Those plant species require little care. Better than just a lawn with no accompanying plants in my opinion.

4. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Anything to promote the appreciation of mature landscapes is a plus in my opinion. But I'll bet you the owners never pulled a week or peeked under a leaf for a pest. And they probably didn't use the pool either. It's all for show. Personally, I have to get dirty, tired, and wet to be happy.

5. koki

koki Active Member

It's purely a matter of opinion. Different strokes for different folks. I see "collectors" gardens that have great variety and rare plants, but the execution is terrible. Alternatively, Japanese gardens show restraint. The negative space is just as important as the positive.

6. bepah

bepah Active Member

There are gardeners and people who hire gardeners. Those of us who get dirt under our fingernails do it for ourselves (mainly, anyway) and get the satisfaction that we know more about our garden, plants and all, than the person who hires a gardener who will put in the minimum effort (low maintenance and high expectation of survival) in order to please his know-nothing clients. While I may appreciate the trimmed up beauty of these gardens, I am always on the lookout for a special survivor that does not present itself at first glance..