1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Baron James de Rothschild and Voncilla Barley

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Crazy for Crotons, Oct 3, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Jim and Judy Glock, please help out with these two plants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Crazy for Crotons

here's a bump

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Judy - you can type slowly. ;) Come on croton "girl", what is your opinion? :rolleyes:

Ron. :)

4. Crazy for Crotons

Jeff Searle, what do you think about these two? I think the first one is Baron James.

5. Crazy for Crotons

Another bump for Jeff and the Glocks. We can resolve this name once and for all.

6. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Ray,

Just not sure. Especially the first one, it just looks so red. Maybe the Glocks and I can swing by soon and check them out. There's nothing better than seeing it in person.

7. Judy Glock

Judy Glock Active Member

Ray, I agree with Jeff that the first picture has more red and orange that I have seen in any of my Baron Rothchilds. The second croton looks like my Voncilla Barley. Jeff and I have decided that a lot of the crotons in the Keys seem to pick up more pink.

Judy

8. Crazy for Crotons

Judy, here's the top plant again in a Cairns courtyard. It's got to be BJ de Rothschild. The orange in the first photo is probably a result of taking the photo in the midday sun.

[​IMG]

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

In Ray's original post, the second picture looks very, very simular to my Baron Rothschild. I am so confused. :confused:

If someone is growing Voncilla Barley and Baron James de Rothschild, could you post side by side photos so we could see the difference? :rolleyes:

Ron. :)

Attached Files:

10. Crazy for Crotons

Jeff, could you bring two specimens and maybe we could clear this one up with Bob too?

11. Jeff Searle

Ha,ha! I'm already up to about 20 plants that I'm going to sleeve and bring over in the back of my truck for everyone to look at and try to put an ID on. Alot of them I think are very new, and extreamly nice looking. I am also trying to bring a few older ones that still need to be looked at. For one, the Colonel Bob Bullock is one I hope we can clear up.

And Ray, to answer your question, I think I only have one of the two in question, but believe me, I will look very hard and carefully before I leave.

We all need a gooooood night sleep before this meeting!!!

12. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Jeff - you can just put the ones I don't have in the back of my truck after the event. I am trying to help you out so you won't have so many to unload when you return home. :rolleyes:

13. Jeff Searle

Ron,

It seems that little brain of yours never stops running. I'll let you know on the that very generous offer though......

14. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Always willing to help my friends in need :rolleyes:

15. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I guess this went unresolved? :confused: :eek: All I know is what I have growing that is tagged Baron James de Rothschild looks exactly like Judy's I seen today. I think Voncilla Barley was a no show at the Holiday Social. :rolleyes:

16. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

This is another one that Marie Nock and I walked back and forth several times trying to determine if we could see the difference. Due to both cultivars growing in different shading and the changes happening with the cold events - we could not come up with a definite conclusion. I would love to see these both growing in the same conditions to see what difference could be determined. :rolleyes:

As Phil would say: Onward through the fog... :p