Bactris gasipaes

Discussion in 'EDIBLES AND SUSTAINIBILITY' started by Moose, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I would rather eat the heart of my palm than the fruit. Just my preference of taste. :rolleyes:

2. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Didn't they serve that at the biennial? With mayo for dipping? I couldn't stomach them :p
    I'd have to be on a desert island with no other source of food :D

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Yep, at the Costa Rica Biennial - has a mealy texture and is an acquired taste for us gringoes.

LOL :D

4. amazondk

amazondk Well-Known Member

I do like pupunha as the fruit is called here. The palm is native to my region and is a totally domesticated tree, only found with people around. It really depends a lot on the tree the fruit comes from. They varie a lot. Here they are boiled in salted water and then you peel off the skn and eat the fruit. But, I guess it is not for everyone.

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

The common name is "Peach Palm". With a name like that I believe we send a bias message to our taste buds and reality does not match the anticipation. I actually have a jar of the fruit in my fridge right now. Bren may be a little over dramatic. She would gladly eat them if raw iguana and tree snails were the other choices. :rolleyes:

6. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Hmmmmm,
    Do vegetarians eat snails?

kwmarko likes this.
  7. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Wrong Ron, I love snails prepared right and I hear iguana tastes like chicken over an open fire. Those fruit awakened my gag reflex LOL

kwmarko likes this.
  8. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

Slowly

9. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

20141220_152049.jpg I AM SO THOROGHLY AMUSED WITH THIS THREAD,,,, WILL CAM my carambola tomorrow

I have to start coddlin a 25 year ole stzr apple...... which looks just like the satin leaf tree I love so much after finding out they likeconstant moisture, and more fert... it ' s far way from growing areas....... mark

20141220_152142.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  10. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

The second pic was a dracena godseffiana ( sp correct!?) Nite folks for this day an night .bye mark

rarly have I seen a flower......