Averrhoa carambola (Starfruit)

Discussion in 'EDIBLES AND SUSTAINIBILITY' started by Moose, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Averrhoa carambola commonly called Starfruit is a widespread native to the asiatic areas of the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Bangladesh & Sri Lanka. It thrives very well in the South Florida climate and is even tolerant of our poor soils. :) My neighbor (thank God, it is prolific) harvests much of the fruit and uses it in a juicer. :D

The past two winters caused no ill effects to my tree. I am unaware of its northern boundaries. I suspect it would have done well in the St. Pete / Tampa area until the last two cold seasons. Is anyone growing Starfruit up yonder? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Never had one Moose. You neglected to comment on how good it is, or the best way to eat it. If you tell me its worth it, I'll pick on up at the local market next time.

3. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Ron, I am growing Carambola up here and have had no problems with the cold in the 12 years I have had it growing. I just noticed this weekend I should have ripe fruit in the next week and new flowers are now open as well.

4. Dypsisdean

Does anyone know what these are related to, if anything?

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Scott - perhaps you could describe the flavor to Dean. I am racking my brain trying to find a "it tastes like ..." example. :confused:

6. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Dean, The taste reminds me of a very juicy pear crossed with a honeydew melon. I am not crazy about the taste and will eat around 3-4 of the fruit a year. The juice is very good and I need to get a juicer to juice them this time.

7. Dypsisdean

How could you not like a juicy pear crossed with a honeydew? One more question. Is it the type of fruit that is better when left to ripen a tad after picking? Or best right off the tree?

8. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Dean, The best taste IMO is left to ripen to a bright yellow on the tree. They can be picked in a light greenish yellow stage and placed in a paper bag to ripen. I like pears but not crazy on honeydew. I love the taste of plums, but have not found a good plum since moving from VA. The plums sold in the stores have no taste.

9. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Fruit and flowers today.

Attached Files:

10. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

These do fantastic here in Pinellas. At a park where I walk, 2 miles from here, there is a huge tree that always has a bumper crop. They get large but can be pruned to size. The key is to cut the sides along the edges about a 1/4" where they jut out. That can be bitter. A good fruit to me tastes like a pear mixed with a ripe white grape. texture is similar to a softer apple.

11. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

The fruit is also pleasantly aromatic. The are good fruit & leaf salads. When sliced they make an nice star shape (hence the common name starfruit) and are pretty edible garnish on party platters. The green ones are tart. I have someone that drops by at least once per week for the fruit. He makes a starfruit salsa. Does the same with mangoes when in season. :cool:

12. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

The Tree be Loaded Mon :p

Attached Files:

13. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

I've had a bunch, but none as sweet and as large my tree

Grilled Carombola: Cut Carombola into stars, brush with olive oil & sprinkle with sugar. Grill both sides until caramelized :p Yum

14. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I am going to give the grilled stars a try.
    IMG_3503.jpg

15. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Just harvested 70 on Monday, the teachers at work snatched them up. Got a friend that stops by every other day for a dozen, he uses them in his juicing blend. :cool:

16. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

In a tropical fruit book I had in th eightie.... (pre hurricane WILMA ) it had a bread and butter pickle recipe... and they were delicious!,,,,,,,, and in both pint, and quart jars, with the sliced stars....... and mustard seeds they were "a dang vision of lolliness " Made darn good presents.......

17. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Mark - I'll bet they are excellent pickled. My neighbor across the street loves to juice them. I have another buddy who makes a salsa out of them. Just harvested a bunch on Christmas Eve - given away to some very pleased friends.

18. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

19. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

So nice to have fruit to harvest during the winter. Also its a pretty attractive feature in the garden. Thinking that there were not many fruit set after the flowering, was surprised to see all the fruit. The green fruits are hard to see since they have the same shape of the leaves in blend in the foliage so well.

Carambola 1.JPG Carambola 2.JPG Carambola 3.JPG