Attention - Is this a new kinda Ti???

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
We found these Ti Plants, out of all places, at WalMart in Hilo yesterday. We thought they were so neat, we bought two. I hadn't seen any like this before. Have I just been unlucky, or are these something kinda new? IMG_2708.jpg IMG_2709.jpg

Wow! You landed 2 very nice looking 'New Guinea Fan'. I would call them rare as I have seen them photos. I have also seen them for auction on ebay a few times and they bring high $$$.

Bren - The WalMarts over here buy from local growers when they can (for obvious reasons - no shipping/import costs) - so I wouldn't wait to see these lining the shelves in all major WalMarts. :)

Scott - these are nice sized and went for $17/each - and labeled as "Showgirl."

How would you like to make a 100% profit to ship one to FL?

A couple of problems.

1) They came from Hilo - 2 hours from here, and those were the only ones.
2) I can't send anything with soil, or that has been in the soil. Thus, only cuttings and seed is what I have been selling/sending.
3) I would say I can ship some "logs" in due time, but I think with this plant, that will take a while, and destroy the plant.

I can only promise to keep you in mind, in the event I run across some big ones that I could cut up.

Bren, I will keep you in mind also if I run across this one at a price that is good. I was offered a 4" potted plant over a year ago for $40.00 plus shipping of $15.00. I turned the offer down, as I thought it was way to high of a price for a 4" starter plant.

Dean, Have you thought of root cuttings to start this one?

When I see this Cordyline I always think of the 'Travelers Palm'. I think they would make a neat interest in the garden planted as a companion plant in front of the Travelers Palm.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzpizap.com14532927735561.jpg

Bren, I will keep you in mind also if I run across this one at a price that is good. I was offered a 4" potted plant over a year ago for $40.00 plus shipping of $15.00. I turned the offer down, as I thought it was way to high of a price for a 4" starter plant.

Dean, Have you thought of root cuttings to start this one?
I'll have to review your posts about that method. I think the problem I may have at this point is these appear to be relatively recent cuttings, with only fine roots in the pot. If I remember correctly, I would need some nice thick robust roots to try that method.

Because of the growth habit, and the look most are after, cutting and trimming above ground is problematic. But, it might be kind of interesting to see this plant with many branches. But that is why I bought two, to try different growing techniques.

If they are recent rooted cuttings, root cuttings will not be a option. If the plant has filled the growing pot with roots gently pull it out of the pot and look at the root zone. If you see the nice thick whitish roots then you are in luck.
I researched this one on line and it looks to be a good tall grower keeping a lot of the leaves up the growing cane. I only found 'Showgirl' listed from a grower in Hawaii and they only will sell the plant for wholesale.

The name 'Singapore Twist' is the name this plant is going to be marketed under here in Fl by Excelsa Gardens.
'Singapore Twist' won "Cool Product Of The Year" @ the Tropical Plant Industry Exhibition (TPIE) in January of this year.
My plant came from Hawaii as 'Showgirl' and will always be a 'Showgirl' for me.
42746a.jpg

Dean, You have had 'Showgirl' for 8 months now. Have you noticed a east west alignment to the leaves? My late spring cutting is pushing good new growth now and I am trying to figure out if I need to keep it growing in the east west alignment.
From the TPIE show...
pizap.com14702273144271.jpg

'Singapore Twist'

I paid no attention to how I planted mine - I have two of them. But neither one of them has varied from the orientation in which I originally planted them - and they are very different orientations - almost at right angles to one another.

I paid no attention to how I planted mine - I have two of them. But neither one of them has varied from the orientation in which I originally planted them - and they are very different orientations - almost at right angles to one another.
Thanks!
Check out the starter plant up for bids on Ebay. at 2pm the bids are up to $52 with 7 hours to go.

After seeing the pictures of Singapore Twist on Ebay ... it may not be the same as Showgirl.