Attalea (any species) in the "Queen Zone"

My garden is located on the border of USDA Zone 9a/9b meaning the average winter low is about 25F, -4C. However, during a cold winter, we can get to 20F, -7C. We do have frost every winter, but I have Phoenix roebellenii growing up near the house (though they defoliated a couple years ago). I've always considered my zone too cold for ANY Attalea, but after reading here a bit, I wonder about A. cohune, and a couple others. So, I solicit your experiences.

Hey Keith,

Attalea cohune grew on Dent Smith's Daytona Beach estate for decades. It had its share of cold damage over the years but it kept coming back. A. butyracea is another possibility but a bit more tender. Give the cohune a shot.

Ray

My garden is located on the border of USDA Zone 9a/9b meaning the average winter low is about 25F, -4C. However, during a cold winter, we can get to 20F, -7C. We do have frost every winter, but I have Phoenix roebellenii growing up near the house (though they defoliated a couple years ago). I've always considered my zone too cold for ANY Attalea, but after reading here a bit, I wonder about A. cohune, and a couple others. So, I solicit your experiences.

Keith,

I have a 3 gal A cohune that I intend on trying 'in-ground' either the Spring of '14 or '15 - depending on how this winter goes. I extend the invite at your convenience to come by and see what meager plantings I have going in my non-microclimated inland frozen tundra.

PM me at your leisure should you want to drop by.

Thanks,

Rich

Keith,

I have a 3 gal A cohune that I intend on trying 'in-ground' either the Spring of '14 or '15 - depending on how this winter goes. I extend the invite at your convenience to come by and see what meager plantings I have going in my non-microclimated inland frozen tundra.

PM me at your leisure should you want to drop by.

Thanks,

Rich

I have also heard many good things about Attalea dubia - but have not found one to try and bump up to a ground-worthy size/try here in town.

Thanks,

Rich

Hi Rich,
I haven't found A. dubia anywhere either. Krishna from Ocala has inspried me to look for one....but where?????? I figure I can try A. cohune too. Even if they freeze back in winter but send up those outrageous fronds in summer, it'll be an interesting subject for the landscape. This wonderfully large lot has so much potential.....but that dang frost! Its colder here at night than it was in Jacksonville. I think my JAX house had a zone 10 winter last year!! Grrr.

BTW, we're out near Chain of Lakes Elementry not far from CR653 & Thompson Nursery/Lake Elouise Loop Road. Where are you?

I have also heard many good things about Attalea dubia - but have not found one to try and bump up to a ground-worthy size/try here in town.

Thanks,

Rich

Ray, I'll give it a try...next spring. We've already pressed the zone limit button with Leucothrinax morissii, Thrinax excelsa, Allagoptera arenaria, and a bunch of small Livistonas I want to protect thier first year in the ground. Oh yea, that big ole Dypsis lutescens I've had for 10 years and got too big for a pot. And its so dang pretty right now. I swear, palms are a disease!

Hey Keith,

Attalea cohune grew on Dent Smith's Daytona Beach estate for decades. It had its share of cold damage over the years but it kept coming back. A. butyracea is another possibility but a bit more tender. Give the cohune a shot.

Ray

Hi Rich,
I haven't found A. dubia anywhere either. Krishna from Ocala has inspried me to look for one....but where?????? I figure I can try A. cohune too. Even if they freeze back in winter but send up those outrageous fronds in summer, it'll be an interesting subject for the landscape. This wonderfully large lot has so much potential.....but that dang frost! Its colder here at night than it was in Jacksonville. I think my JAX house had a zone 10 winter last year!! Grrr.

BTW, we're out near Chain of Lakes Elementry not far from CR653 & Thompson Nursery/Lake Elouise Loop Road. Where are you?

I bought mine as seeds and germinated it. I only got 1 to germinate out of the 6 seeds I bought. I havent seen anymore seed for sale since I got it!

I came close to trying A. cohune when designing my yard but was talked out of it by Ken. For one it gets so dang big , the tiny yard wouldn't hold it; secondly Ken thought the occasional freeze would keep it looking ratty most of the time.