Are these Tropical?

Discussion in 'COMPANION PLANTS - TROPICAL & SUBTROPICAL' started by Moose, May 24, 2011.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Are these tropical plants? :confused: These were gifted to me as seedlings.

Supposedly a relative to the infamous Mr. Stinky.:eek::rolleyes::confused:

Attached Files:

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Those are Amorphophallus sp. And the infamous Mr. Stinky is Amorphophallus titanum.

I believe there are quite a few different species, and determining whether they are "tropical" is above my pay grade. But I think they are tolerant of a wide range of conditions, because they will be asleep and under the soil in the winter anyway. I am aware of a Mr. Stinky that has bloomed in San Diego and another recently here on the Big Island.

3. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Like Dean stated above, there are many species in this unique group of plants. Some will set seeds and later come up throughout your garden if conditions are right.

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

These seem to add a tropical aspect to a garden in my opinion: :rolleyes: :p;)

What do you think ? :)

What makes the genus Amorphophallus so unique ?

Attached Files:

5. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Gorgeous Ae Ae Ron. I manged to kill mine. It bent in half during a storm and never recovered.

6. bessie

bessie Member

They are also called voodoo lilies. They will fall over in late fall and die but being bulbs will come back in the spring. For a rather impressive display, see them at Leu gardens in Orlando which is worth visiting for multiple reasons throughout the year.