1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Are these really 3 different Crotons???

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by fawnridge, Nov 28, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

All scanned from The Book.
    Daisy Ortegas - William Craig (2) - Macarthurii
    If I was a betting man, I'd say these three appear to be the same.

Attached Files:

2. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

The unofficial correction list for Dr Browns book pg 27 Daisy Ortegas is William Craig.

3. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

The last one looks different to me.

4. koki

koki Active Member

I had never thought that William Craig would be a contender for "the most beautiful croton in the world," but wait until you see the William Craig at the Glock's house. Wow!:)

5. fawnridge

Does anyone have a photo of a Daisy Ortegas?

Yes, the last one does look different, until you look at the older leaves and compare them to the William Craig photos. I've never seen a Macarthurii, but the one in the book looks very similar several William Craig that I've grown where the leaves went to heavy green.

6. Judy Glock

Judy Glock Active Member

Ricky, We have a McArthurii. It is a very old croton and looks nothing like my William Craig. Hope you can make it over here Dec. 11!

Judy

7. fawnridge

Judy - I'd love to come, but it's just too much on Karen. Make sure everyone takes photos, so I can sit here and drool!

8. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I read in another post here that D.O. has a orange outline on leaf edge on some leaves. W.C. has no orange outline. Here are pictures that Phil posted some time back of his D.O. * OK you are not going to be able to click the pic for larger view to see the outline color. Maybe Phil will repost the pictures here.

Attached Files:

9. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

The out of color Croton I found this summer was given a ID of a W.C. or D.O., at that time the plant had very little color. Here is a pic of the leaves as it looks now showing the orange outlined edge. I hope the other colors return on the leaves. I belive it is a D.O.

Attached Files:

• 036.jpg
      036.jpg
      File size:
      247.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Update: Sorry to report that a rogue cutting of this croton has ocurred. Just stems are left.... at least that is what the rumor is ? :eek:

LOL :p

11. koki

koki Active Member

They have a large cage rigged Rube Goldberg style that dangles over their William Craig. One twitch and it drops, and it's big enough to catch a Moose! LOL

12. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

here's the pics reposted of the Daisy Ortegas 9according to the purple tag on it)

Attached Files:

13. fawnridge

Phil - I'd have a hard time believing that Daisy Ortegas is the not the same as the William Craig photos above.

14. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Gee Phil, mine looks exactly like yours and has a purple tag on it reading Daisy Ortega as well. :rolleyes:

15. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

I will admit, I still can't see a difference(much) from W.C. and a Daisy O. But, my Daisy Ortegas I recently sold were given that ID from none other than Bob A. I still have a decent size plant in a pot(D.O.), this might just be another plant to haul over for inspection at the upcoming Glock's garden tour. And to compare it side be side with a William Craig.

16. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

I never had seen a difference Jeff until seeing the ones you sold in October. Now I can spot a difference but couldn't describe them to you. I have to see the plants to distinguish the two. For one thing, WC leaves seem bigger.

17. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

So are you saying that size does matter Ray? :confused:

18. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Well hell yeah!