1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone still have air layers on their plants?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Crazy for Crotons, Oct 22, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

I still have a dozen or so air layers started in mid September. Thanks to the warmth of the last month, most are rooting well. Does anyone else still have in-progress air layers out there?

2. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

I actually removed 27 approx. 2 weeks ago. But to answer your question, I think I'm down to less than 10. I can see a big difference between putting them on in April and May, compared to August and September. Much faster in the spring.

3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Still one or two late season ones. Since I've been trimming palms I've got about two bags full of broken croton branches rooting. FWIW, I've also left air layers on over winter (lost them or forgot about them) and they grow quite well the next spring when re-discovered, cut off, and potted up.

4. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Phil,

You just reminded me on something. While putting a bunch of air layers on back in the summer at a friend's house, I found 3 that were put on the previous summer. The plant ( air layer) was approx. 3-4' tall, and when I looked under the old aluminum foil, I noticed the moss was not only bone dry, but full of roots. I removed them and potted them up when I got back to the nursery, but instead of putting them out in the shadehouse like I normally would, I placed them in the mist house to help with any shock and loss of leaf transpiration. They never missed a beat and all rooted out like any of the others. A tough plant here.......

5. keith

keith Active Member

I have about 50 or 60, took some off today, will plant some tomorrow.

6. Crazy for Crotons

This upcoming week should get the air layers rooting. Upper 80's for the last week in October? What more can we ask?!

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

It was the same temperature range last year Ray. And then ... :mad:

8. Crazy for Crotons

Use reverse psychology. Say that it's going to be brutal with fronts coming through every other day and snow on Miami Beach like 1977. Then, enjoy the beach in mid January.