Any ideas?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by annafl, Mar 24, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I bought this croton at Palm Hammock Orchid Estates about two years ago. It was tiny (about 8-9 inches tall). It is now between 1 1/2 and 2 feet tall. I was enamored by the beautiful pink. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

I would say Raphael,although it has some differences from my Raphael.

3. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

I would say Raphael too - a beautifully grown one also.

4. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks Mike and Marie!

:) I have a Raphael I bought 7 or 8 years ago on the other far corner of the yard and it looks a little different. I will have to take a picture of it today and see what you all think. There are a lot of similarities though so maybe they are the same plant. Thanks again.

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

My initial thought was a Rafael but not 100%. Could not rule out slight chance of a Polychrome. Rafael is a slowish cultivar, Polychrome much slower, at least in my garden. :confused:

6. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Take a look to see what you all think. This is what I was told was Raphael 7-8 years ago at Jesse Durko's. It is now about 8 feet tall and was beautiful, but I made the mistake of severely pruning large firespikes right in front of it about a month ago. It got a lot more sun and has defoliated a lot, especially on the front side. Live and learn. Even this back side is a bit thinner, but you can still see the coloring and the leaf shape. I think this plant is a little more prominently semi-oak shaped, has more cream in it and the pink is lighter. Maybe all these are variations of location. I don't know.

Attached Files:

7. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Also, the veins on the first one are pink and yellow, the second plant has only dark green veins and the marbling seems different I think?:confused:

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

This looks like it may be a Claude Lorraine. A shade lover and and another slow cultivar. :confused:

9. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Oh, yeah. Definitely a lot of similarities between Claude Lorraine and Raphael. Ron, the more I look at my plants, the more I think the first could be polychrome (as you mentioned) and the second I'm pretty sure is Raphael. They just look different to me.:confused: I never saw those two as the same plant, just something about living with them. Maybe there will be other opinions as well.

10. koki

koki Active Member

I bought a plant at J. Durko's labeled Rapheal and it ended up the same as you have, a Claude Louraine. It's a very good grower, with lighter pinks than Rapheal. Rapheal is harder to find, but truly one of the nicest crotons. The first photo looks like Rapheal.

11. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Andy,
    The first one is Raphael and the second one is a Claude Lorraine. Both excellent crotons for the deep shade.

12. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks Koki and Jeff! I guess the consensus is 1)Raphael and 2)Claude Lorraine. Yay! 2 more with id's. Thanks so much everyone. A real team effort here.:)

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Rafael at sunrise in da Moose Land :eek:

Attached Files:

14. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

And then Claude Lorraine at sunrise in da Moose Land :eek:

Attached Files:

15. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

My two favorites, Ron. Gotta love the pinks. So hard to find, though.