Any ideas?

annafl

Esteemed Member
I bought this croton at Palm Hammock Orchid Estates about two years ago. It was tiny (about 8-9 inches tall). It is now between 1 1/2 and 2 feet tall. I was enamored by the beautiful pink. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_1540.jpg
    DSC_1540.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_1539.jpg
    DSC_1539.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_1538.jpg
    DSC_1538.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 67
Thanks Mike and Marie!

:) I have a Raphael I bought 7 or 8 years ago on the other far corner of the yard and it looks a little different. I will have to take a picture of it today and see what you all think. There are a lot of similarities though so maybe they are the same plant. Thanks again.

My initial thought was a Rafael but not 100%. Could not rule out slight chance of a Polychrome. Rafael is a slowish cultivar, Polychrome much slower, at least in my garden. :confused:

Take a look to see what you all think. This is what I was told was Raphael 7-8 years ago at Jesse Durko's. It is now about 8 feet tall and was beautiful, but I made the mistake of severely pruning large firespikes right in front of it about a month ago. It got a lot more sun and has defoliated a lot, especially on the front side. Live and learn. Even this back side is a bit thinner, but you can still see the coloring and the leaf shape. I think this plant is a little more prominently semi-oak shaped, has more cream in it and the pink is lighter. Maybe all these are variations of location. I don't know.

Attachments

• DSC_1550.jpg
    DSC_1550.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_1551.jpg
    DSC_1551.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_1552.jpg
    DSC_1552.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_1553.jpg
    DSC_1553.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 73
Take a look to see what you all think. This is what I was told was Raphael 7-8 years ago at Jesse Durko's. It is now about 8 feet tall and was beautiful, but I made the mistake of severely pruning large firespikes right in front of it about a month ago. It got a lot more sun and has defoliated a lot, especially on the front side. Live and learn. Even this back side is a bit thinner, but you can still see the coloring and the leaf shape. I think this plant is a little more prominently semi-oak shaped, has more cream in it and the pink is lighter. Maybe all these are variations of location. I don't know.

This looks like it may be a Claude Lorraine. A shade lover and and another slow cultivar. :confused:

Oh, yeah. Definitely a lot of similarities between Claude Lorraine and Raphael. Ron, the more I look at my plants, the more I think the first could be polychrome (as you mentioned) and the second I'm pretty sure is Raphael. They just look different to me.:confused: I never saw those two as the same plant, just something about living with them. Maybe there will be other opinions as well.

I bought a plant at J. Durko's labeled Rapheal and it ended up the same as you have, a Claude Louraine. It's a very good grower, with lighter pinks than Rapheal. Rapheal is harder to find, but truly one of the nicest crotons. The first photo looks like Rapheal.